5" Exhaust Anyone?

67-7THREE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds real good! my 67 ats turbo'd 6.9 is getting 5" all the way back.

i had 5" on my 96 obs powerstroke, over the axle, on a lowered 2wd. fit perfect. but then again i made the exhaust, not a bought kit.

and i use to have side exit like you have on my powerstroke, wheel turned completely black in the first week. thats the only downside about having it come out there.

Duke Thieroff

Reaction score
Then hang a GOOD quality muffler under your truck and call it a day. Haven't ever heard any thing nice about dynomax mufflers and my experience with a set was less then stellar due to drone..........then you post up complaining about drone with a dynomax system........... Do take notice that us straight piped guys thus far in this thread report NO drone. I roll up my windows all I hear is whistle through my fire wall in a cruise condition and can carry on a conversation comfortably.
And I think you and others missed his intent for the 5" exhaust.

I bought the Dynomax kit for my truck a while back and am overall pleased with it. I have it on my 88 SCLB.

I don't notice much of a drone and can carry on a conversation in the truck comfortably at all RPMs.

The kit sounds pretty darn good, in my opinion also. It was worth the money and the hour or so labor to put it on.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
DAMN!!! That whistle is crazy.....i am gonna have to sell my ATS and get a Banks. Tired of having a turbo that doesn't whistle....Shoot, your truck almost sounds like a 6.0L now.

Nice work man. Glad your happy with the outcome and you got exactly what you wanted from it. I still wish i had gone 5" straight on mine.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
I was hoping the video would help some of you guys decide on your next exhaust setup. Sounds like some have been on the fence about what size pipe to go with and how it would sound. The hardest part about doing the 5" was building the adapter from 3" DP to 5" ID...because no one makes such a thing. You have two choices, either stack a 3"-4" to a 4"-5". The other option is to purchase a MBRP 3.5" OD to 5" ID adapter and weld in a reducer to 3" ID...this is the route I went with cheaper and I had the welder to build it. Just food for thought.

Last edited:

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DAMN!!! That whistle is crazy.....i am gonna have to sell my ATS and get a Banks. Tired of having a turbo that doesn't whistle....Shoot, your truck almost sounds like a 6.0L now.

Nice work man. Glad your happy with the outcome and you got exactly what you wanted from it. I still wish i had gone 5" straight on mine.

Mine whistled like that with the factory ATS, 3" elbow & downpipe, and dumped 4" exhaust with resonator that I mentioned previously... Out of all the exhaust setups I tried that gave me the absolute best sound I could find.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping the video would help some of you guys decide on your next exhaust setup. Sounds like some have been on the fence about what size pipe to go with and how it would sound. The hardest part about doing the 5" was building the adapter from 3" DP to 5" ID...because no one makes such a thing. You have two choices, either stack a 3"-4" to a 4"-5". The other option is to purchase a MBRP 3.5" OD to 5" ID adapter and weld in a reducer to 3" ID...this is the route I went with cheaper and I had the welder to build it. Just food for thought.

Thanks for the video...

Watched this thread for a while and all those Poo Pooers who say nay....it's his truck heck if he wants 8" pipe and can make it work...let him...his $$ his truck, don't like it? Don't look!

Bottom line I think that sounds great, and I'd consider this for my own but I'd have to have over rear axle exit for me.

again, thanks!

Al

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
google how to make a concentric reducer and you have directions on how to make your own reducer on the pipe. I used to do this when I had access to a full fab shop at my disposal. Now that I am limited to a little mig and a metabo wheel I think it is more worth it to buy reducers but just giving you some other options

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
This is the adapter I used:
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/mbr-ua2005

Then I welded a 3" ID connector inside the adapter...had about 1/8" gap to fill but it worked out nicely. I would of preferred to use a pipe expander to make a better fit but that tool wasn't available to me.

I thought about making my own reducer but the time it would take me to fabricate vs. $30 or so in parts swayed my decision.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had to dig up an old post, just wondering if this was ever ran to the rear of the tire and if the tone and turbo sound changed any...looking into 5" exhaust myself.. the clip of this one sounds great!

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Yes I finished the exhaust and sent it over the rear axle a few months ago. I used the two-piece 5" tailpipe from Diamond Eye. Welded on my own hangers utilizing the factory locations. I can't vouch for spare tire clearance as I dont have one mounted under my truck. I will upload some pictures and a sound clip later this afternoon, it sounds pretty much the same though. Very happy with the way it turned out.

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you want whistle ditch the big cast airbox and work up a custom intake. Done and done. The big cast airbox eats the whistle.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome, i appreciate it... i am looking at the full 5" diamond eye exhaust myself.. i also want to rid the truck of that poppy sound, and actually hear a turbo whistle

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does sound good. Kinda, sorta, did confuse a stroke for his truck one day.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online