4x4 and rear axle question

jocephus

Reaction score
i hav a question about my truck it is a 2001 f250 7.3l 6spd 4x4 my question is if there is any way to check if i have a locking diff without taking the cover off, the build sheet says that it is but yesterday just about stuck it and only on wheel was pulling. also on the 4x4 what direction do you turn the hub to lock it in i only had the right side pulling on the front to.

li'l tugger

Reaction score
i think righty-tighty locks the hubs. as for the locking rear.. did you tap your brake while the tires were spinning? sometimes that'll do the trick. when was the last time you changed the rear-end fluid? it might need it. while you're in there, put some limited slip additive in there. that should help it engage next time.

jocephus

Reaction score
no i did not i was to worried about grabbing gears to get enough wheel speed to clean the tires out we were sinking fast. southeast missouri mud is unforgiving. i havent changed the fluid yet either the truck has about 90k on it i just bought it couple of months ago

li'l tugger

Reaction score
. southeast missouri mud is unforgiving.

i know what you mean! east texas gumbo is the same way. not sure why, but if you give the brakes just a little tap, that usually engages both wheels. having 90k miles, i would definitely change the fluid too.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The stock 'locker' is just a limited-slip differential.

The locking hubs 'lock' or engage the front wheels to the front drivetrain. There's only an open differential up front (factory) so that's why one tire gets stuck.

When you decide you want reliable traction, get a Lockright, Powertrax, or Detroit.

MJ Synthetics

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
You should change front & rear if they haven't been done. If you want a good quality Synthetic 75W-140 and additive I can help you with that at wholesale prices. ;Sweet