4WD Shifter Freeplay

R.Shackleford

Reaction score
The shifter seems to be broken but I dont quite understand how exactly.

It won't go into any of the notches on the transmission for the gear selections (Plate on transmission where the 4wd lever connects to). It just passes all of them.

Basically it just flops back and forth on the floor and I can't use 4wd.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you

Edit: Found this out while trying to drive my truck in 4wd to the transmission shop. Big surprise that was for sure

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at the linkage yet? If this happened suddenly, could something have simply popped off or come loose. Beyond that...I know that the plastic bushings can be an issue in the linkage used with the 1345; don't know if the same issue might exist with the 1356...

R.Shackleford

Reaction score
Looked at the linkages, nothing has popped off. All the plastic bushings have been replaced with new when i put in the zf5.

I will try to take a picture tomorrow and put it up of the problem up

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Its internal. My 91 just did this. 2nd time really. Shift fork shaft wares through the housing. I'm getting a 1345 a 205 now

R.Shackleford

Reaction score
Here are a couple pictures. I am pointing to the part that is allowing the lever to move freely. It isn't latching into the grooves.

If its internal is there a part I can replace or just replace the entire tc?

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
You can make a brass bushing. I have already done it once and I would rather have a new tc.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry long day, I'd just about misspell my own name if I had to write it. If your shifter is shot it is possible to use the e4od t-case shifter....... I was a cheap ******* and cut my linkage down = wife wasn't happy when I said I also needed to buy a new clutch...

If it comes down to it it was 4.25" center to center on the linkage if you have a second one. You could cut down to get you by for the time being. I'm not happy with the angle of the linkage and how short it is but I really haven't noticed a difference in operation. It just has to work till I can sneak another part by my wife lol.

Check the case first before worrying about replacing it. Just pop the linkage off and try to move the lever by hand to make sure its not where your problem lies. It obvious shouldn't free wheel back and forth.
In the rear position ,which I think is 2wd, I couldn't get enough leverage on it with my hand and had to gently pry it forward.

Last edited: