4" exhaust?

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This weekend my brother took the truck which involved a trailer, Bronco, 3 engines, and a trans to load it down. The end result, 35mph up tiger mountain and about the same peaking Snoqualmie Pass. I figured the truck is hauling about ~7500# and runs the flats fine at 60-65 loaded and just the trailer at 70 without a problem.

I know the truck (see sig below) is very restricted right now with the stock intake and a N/A stock 2.5" exhaust with the stock muffler I believe, and where ever the fuel was set on the very stock truck it came out of. I can't hardly get the thing to puff black smoke. No pyro or boost gauges, so no playing with the fuel yet.

So, with a better intake for fresh air (have a hypermax cowl intake but not sure I want to listen to it), and ATS 3" turbo housing and downpipe, is a 4" exhaust worth it or would 3" be just as good? It would be a straight pipe to begin with and if to loud a muffler added.

And while at it, how much of a difference does a flat on the fuel screw make for the butt dyno or even dyno numbers if someone has them?

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One flat does alot but idk if anyone has dynoed a single flat at a time. It will add a good bit more. Im running 35%wvo an rest #2 diesel so the smoke level is down a lil as well as egt's I max my pump out an I have a 3in dp 088 ATS nongated turbo an 4in straight pipe an runs great with a turbo no need to add a soot trap on it there not loud. 3in would be fine to but 3.5 or 4in have a lil better tone imo than 3in is a lil to tight sounding but could just be me. If I were to run 3in it would be straight. I would say with the factory turbo you could max your pump out an not blow alot of nasty black smoke while driving it will puff at rev though.

Reaction score
I had a straight through muffler on my 3 inch and it was really quit. So I cit the 3 inch out and from the so back went with a straight 4" dump right in front of the rear tire. Was really loud at first so either I've gotten a little deaf or its gotten a little more quite not sure which. But it has mad a difference on my rig with a 088 ats 60-1 compressor wheel

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 4" system will be easier to come by as you can use a system for a OBS PSD. The 3" systems are not offered by many unless you just had the exhaust shop build it, but then it would not be a mandrel bend system. If you shop around online you can probably find a good deal on a OBS PSD 4" system that can be easily adapted to fit an IDI.