3in exhaust and 16.5 tires..

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I ended up choppin out the old stock muffler on the e250..EVENTUALLY I found the pipe (I think its the right pipe) that he said he was gonna bring me 3hrs ago...(in his garage...he said it was "just inside the door"..well the only 3in I found had a nice stainless magnaflow muffler on it...so I hope its the right pipe..cus its welded in the van now!!:D )

MAN what a diffrence in power!!..I think its time to get more 3in and do the whole thing!!...needs a turnout tip..but its got good sound and mucho power-o

I was looking at the old paperwork the other day...whats ford's deal with 16.5 wheels and tires on EVERYTHING I've owned that was from the 80's??

wonder what 17's would look like on the van???:Thumbs Up

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
16.5 was the standard size on everything heavy back in the day. You could hardly find 16" tires in 1985. Now, it's getting hard to find 16.5's. The 3" exhaust works great. It's the "right" size, and mid priced, so it's difficultly affordable.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea 16.5 was the standard through the very early 80's, and when people bought aftermarket tires and wheels they were also 16.5" through the mid 80's.

BUT it's an old standard, tires have improved so much that a 16" tire will hold more than a 16.5" even with the lower bead angle (.5" sizes have a higher bead angle to hold more pressure and weight).

One of the side "benefits" of the higher bead angle is the bead will pop off the rim a lot easier, which is why a lot of 16.5" for off road will run beadlocks.

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea 16.5 was the standard through the very early 80's, and when people bought aftermarket tires and wheels they were also 16.5" through the mid 80's.

BUT it's an old standard, tires have improved so much that a 16" tire will hold more than a 16.5" even with the lower bead angle (.5" sizes have a higher bead angle to hold more pressure and weight).

One of the side "benefits" of the higher bead angle is the bead will pop off the rim a lot easier, which is why a lot of 16.5" for off road will run beadlocks.

yep..and alot of guys runnin 16.5's that ARNT beadlocked tend to make us wait while they reseat their tires...-cuss LOL

I found some nice rims...just gotta get the $$ for them (16's)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle