38 gallon tank

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
I finally replaced my leaky 19 gallon rear tank with the 38 gallon tank. Pretty straight forward except for the "cut the tow hitch out of the way" part :rotflmao
The old tank came out easily but the new, taller tank wouldn't clear without the extra room. I cut the hitch in a way that it can easily be welded back on.
Here are a couple of pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1580.jpg
    IMG_1580.jpg
    624.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1593.jpg
    IMG_1593.jpg
    590.3 KB · Views: 29

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
LMC as part of a bigger order. The tank itself is nothing special - made in Taiwan... Here's a picture of the pickup extension that's part of the kit and the original sending unit prior to soldering it back together.

Attachments

• pickup extension.jpg
    pickup extension.jpg
    649.1 KB · Views: 23
  • sending unit.jpg
    sending unit.jpg
    772.7 KB · Views: 28

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
They list it under the truck tanks. I don't know whether it would actually be the same part number as the Bronco but I'm guessing yes.

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
There is room above the hitch *after* the tank is in. But the tank won't fit in there with the hitch on. So I cut it off, put the tank in, and soon I'll weld it back where it was originally. Here are a couple of pics. First picture shows where I cut and what I took off of the truck. Second picture shows where the first piece is going back in.

Attachments

• Cut.jpg
    Cut.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Weld.jpg
    Weld.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 29

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My bronco tank is only 33gal. I am JEALOUS

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
You'll be jealous until you get to fill up with fuel... Between the 19 front tank and the 38 rear tank that's about $150 bucks!

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
The tank came with the parts to extend the fuel sender/pickup, 4 new longer bolts and spacers. The upper and lower straps are extra. I ordered both but frankly, you don't need the upper ones if the ones you have are in good shape. The lower ones on mine were rusty so I replaced them. Each set of straps is $20.

WPineF

Rider of the Dragon
Reaction score
I did this mod to my truck about 2 years ago the orginal straps fit with out any problem. You are right about the $ to fill up but I can drive about 900 to 1000 mile with out having to stop for fuel.
I had to make my own fuel level float extension. look back for my post i did put up pictures on what I had to do.

Dave

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
My problem is I can't go further then one 19 gallon tank 'cause I got to add oil at that point anyway :) But yes, that is what I want to do for my tank at some point (after I fix the oil burning/leaking issues)