38 gallon tank update!!

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have had nothing but trouble with this. So I got the tank from LMC and it looks like it is galvanized inside the tank.:dunno Called LMC and trhey can't seem to tell me any usefull info. Well upon tanking the old rear tank tank out I found the my fuel lines are rotted by the lock plate. So trying to find sending unit was either LMC or the stealership. So I bought a sending unit from LMC for another $230. Well got it today and has a funky round plug that will not fit my truck. Also has two alignment tabs that are supposed to align it in the tank. Well they way off too. So I'm sending both items back and just buying a transfer tank to put in the bed. Tired of spending money:frustrate. So I will not have a write up on doing this swap ,Sorry guys.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have had nothing but trouble with this. So I got the tank from LMC and it looks like it is galvanized inside the tank.:dunno Called LMC and trhey can't seem to tell me any usefull info. Well upon tanking the old rear tank tank out I found the my fuel lines are rotted by the lock plate. So trying to find sending unit was either LMC or the stealership. So I bought a sending unit from LMC for another $230. Well got it today and has a funky round plug that will not fit my truck. Also has two alignment tabs that are supposed to align it in the tank. Well they way off too. So I'm sending both items back and just buying a transfer tank to put in the bed. Tired of spending money:frustrate. So I will not have a write up on doing this swap ,Sorry guys.

return it and get the sameone, if still bad, hall of shame for lmc fuel tank??? IDK

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't researched it yet but if I ever have to do tank work I am going to see if Titan makes one big one and get rid of the dual tanks. Then I will hook the tank switch to my transfer tank and be able to access 100+ gallons of fuel.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having two tanks is nice tho, you can run fuel from different stations like that and if you happen to get a bad batch you can switch to the other tank and keep on trucking.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mlsc...that trick has saved me twice so far....when filling up at a place that is questionable I only fill up 1 tank, and leave 5~7 gal in the other

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the lmc 38 gal is for the gasser only its a bronco tank that will fit the truck frame
the issue with the lmc tank is you need the plastic one for the diesel which is not galvanized
the sending unit for diesel last time i checked is not avaible from lmc its an o ring thing that makes it not work you could just replace the o rings to make it diesel rated
and i wouldnt go to lmc for a plastic tank they can be found cheaper elsewhere online

you will need a plastic oem replacement tank for a bronco and it will work fine

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
why are galvanized tanks not good for diesel?

edit- NM... did some research and diesel seems to eat it and clog screens/filters with the coating material

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mlsc...that trick has saved me twice so far....when filling up at a place that is questionable I only fill up 1 tank, and leave 5~7 gal in the other

I always keep one tank full to the top - you never know when you have to idle the night away on some highway.

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
I always keep one tank full to the top - you never know when you have to idle the night away on some highway.

X2. had to do it one night at work last year. it was -28 degrees with a 30 mile an hour wind on top of that. it's always fun when weather bug sends you an alert on your phone to tell you it's -50 degrees with wind chill and to seek shelter if your outside LOL i have the ability to have 140 gal between three tanks on the truck at any given time just for that reason. and yes, one of them is this
one. it's the one that split on me under vacuum. and will be replaced in january with the same thing. i haven't had any problems with the galvanizing flaking....yet. time will tell though. sorry about your luck with the tank. if you happen across a poly one that will work please post up the info. as i have had no luck finding anything reasonably priced

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I am going into bad or unpredictable weather I do the same....but being that my normal runs are california, arizona, and nevada I have it real good...=)

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
why are galvanized tanks not good for diesel?

edit- NM... did some research and diesel seems to eat it and clog screens/filters with the coating material

Sorry to hear about that aspect of diesel, I was ready to buy one of those tanks on Ebay, $171 with free shipping. But I also kept seeing the disclaimer that they specifically were not for diesel.

Guess if I want gobs of extra fuel capacity I will have to go with plastic or get a custom tank made.

Maybe a coating like they use in rusty tanks would keep the process from happening?

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard and read that you can swap an original full size bronco tank in...based on this discussion is it safe to assume that if I pull an original from the bone yard it can be used for diesel?

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I looked at swapping it out for a bronco tank but I'm just going to get my money back and buy a 45 Gallon RDS tank that goes in the bed. I'm going to keep my selector valve hooked up and install a new front tank down the road since it is leaking too. That way I can have plenty of fuel for the long road trips. But northern tool has the 45 Gallon tank on sale for $379. Cant beat that price time I buy another tank and sending unit assembly. I'm going to keep the rear selction for the transfer tank and keep the front tank on the front switch. That way if I get back into burning WMO I can keep it seperate.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 38 gal plastic tank in the back of my truck. Im not sure what it came out of cause it came with the truck when I bought it.

its held up by two big plates underneath the bed.