38 gallon tank from LMC

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recieved my 38 gallon tank from LMC today. I went ahead and ordered it since their tech support couldn't tell me if it would work for diesel or not. Well I have it in my house and one of you guys said to make sure that it did not have galvanized in the tank. So is there a way I can check to see if its galvanized or just plain steel. I looked inside with flashlight but I can't tell. I would like to install this this saturday. Thanks

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
i cant help you there, but take step by step pics pleace. i want to do this on my truck to.;Sweet

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
i used one in my truck. the problems i ran into were the extensions were to short for me to use in my application, and the tank split on me -cuss the vent in my fuel cap had sealed shut and the tank sucked in on itself splitting on a seam. i'm putting another one in, hopefully in jan and drilling a small hole in my fuel cap to alleviate the pressure reduction in the tank and trying to avoiding the same problem.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That might be a good idea for me to drill a hole too then. I only want to do this once. How did you attatch you sending unit extensions? And did your tailpipe have to be moved or anything? Also I will take some pics with my phone when I do this dave. Thanks

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes please do take pics and note your install. My rear is only making it to 1/4 empty before it messes up so I'm thinking this is definately a route I'm going to take. I saw the same tank in LMC....do you also buy their strap extensions? I was thinking that would take care of the strap issues?
Thanks!

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw that 38 gallon tank awhile back, is that supposed to work with your stock fuel pickup and gauge sender? Because I didn't see one listed that was supposed to be with the tank.

BTW it should be fairly easy to tell if the tank is galvanized or not- galvanized will be slightly shiny, if it's plain steel it will have a dull finish and probably already have some rust on it.

Y'know, now that I think about it, I think the replacement front tank I put on my truck 2 years ago is galvanized...why's that bad for diesel?

diesel4me2

Reaction score
That might be a good idea for me to drill a hole too then. I only want to do this once. How did you attatch you sending unit extensions? And did your tailpipe have to be moved or anything?

as far as the hole goes, it not being there is my best WAG as to why the tank split. every time i ran it low and unscrewed the cap all i heard was air rushing in and that metal sound of the tank expanding and popping back into shape. i didn't use the sending unit extensions. if i remember correctly, they send some copper tube with it and tell you to solder it to the end of the original tube to make it longer. i just put some fuel hose, cut to length, on the end of the pick-up tube and cut a fish mouth at the bottom of it so it doesn't suck down to the bottom of the tank. i didn't have to do anything with the exhaust that i remember.

do you also buy their strap extensions? I was thinking that would take care of the strap issues?

i have harpooned both my tanks. i have to run spacers on top of my rear tank to accommodate the modification to it, otherwise it will contact the bed of the truck. the strap extensions they sent with the tank were too short for my application. no biggie for me as i was expecting it, and had made my own.

diesel4me2

Reaction score
:hail Dang! Everybody wants to know who's fuel pump you use. LOL :hail

speaking of fuel pumps :sly i'm still under fueled..... how much is it gonna cost me for that second up-grade we were kicking around a while ago :D:D:D

Imploded fuel tank, candycaned driveshaft.......................

I'm starting to see a trend here.;Really

i aim to misbehave
:Thumbs Up;burnout;burnout;burnout:Thumbs Up

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
:hail Dang! Everybody wants to know who's fuel pump you use. LOL :hail

It's a whole lot easier to collapse a tank under vacuum than to blow it up with pressure...

I know "personally" because I accidentally wired a pressure relief blower up wrong here and it sucked the top of a 60 foot tall flour silo down in no time flat!!!

Now we have one silo with a domed top and the other with a concave top...

But, i'm still employed, thankfully!

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the tank I bought came with everything to do the install, extensions and all. Well if the weather holds off tomorrow I will do this but I have no garage to work in right now. We have my buddy's truck in the garage doing a auto tranny to manual swap on his chevy z71. I told him to buy a ford but he never listens:rotflmao

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright I have started this project and nothing has went right. First I had to remove my tailpipe and my reciever hitch to even drop the tank. Then I get the tank dropped a little and start un-hooking the lines and notice the steel line off the top of the sending unit is barely holding on beacause of the rust. So does any-one have a spare sending unit because this seems to be a dealership part or LMC which also wants $200 for this part. I've called everyone around here and no-one even can order this. I'm about to call it a day and go to the bar I think.-cuss

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea it comes with exstensions for your float and suction tube. Well got ahold of the dealership today and for the price of $265 plus tax I can get a sending unit. I think LMC wants about $200 plus tax so I'm up in the air of returning the tank and buying a aux. fuel tank and mount it in the bed or spending another $250 on this project? what do you guys think? I can get a RDS 50 gallon aux. fuel tank with all the suction tubes and return line for $399 plus shipping.