300+hp cummins and wastgates?

GoodB0Y

Reaction score
I'm looking into swaping a ctd into my ford and have a goal of 300 to 350 hp. I wonder if I'm going to need a wastegated turbo for those kind of numbers.... I under stand that a waste gate allows for more bost at a lower engine speed and stops the turbo from over bosting at higher engine speeds.... I just dont know how I would get to ware I want hp wise and if a wastegate is part of it all. If I have a non wastgated turbo will I be able to achieve 300+ hp? If I had a wastgated turbo and I removed or disabled it would I over boost my engine? would I even need to worry about it if I built it with studs? Any thoughts you guys have are apreciated

Thanxs,
Corey

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
those numbers at attainable in a CTD. you will need to find a motor already set up with the P7100 pump if you want to go there without breaking your wallet worse than it will already happen.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
300 hp... why stop there... with the Cummins that's a very easy number to hit, Now as for a wastegated turbo or non wastegated it can be done with either one. As long as you stay in the limits of the turbo the engine can take it, I have a wastegated turbo that I have it offset to only open after 35psi because anything higher than that and my egt's will skyrocket.

ncovey

Diesel Poor
Reaction score
A #10 fuel plate in a 215 p-pumped cummins will get you 330 easy

GoodB0Y

Reaction score
those numbers at attainable in a CTD. you will need to find a motor already set up with the P7100 pump if you want to go there without breaking your wallet worse than it will already happen.

man thats not what I wanted to hear... there are a couple ve pumped engine core's real cheap locally here...thinkin I might go that route... maybe not

GoodB0Y

Reaction score
300 hp... why stop there... with the Cummins that's a very easy number to hit, Now as for a wastegated turbo or non wastegated it can be done with either one. As long as you stay in the limits of the turbo the engine can take it, I have a wastegated turbo that I have it offset to only open after 35psi because anything higher than that and my egt's will skyrocket.

how does boost efect egt's? I would have thought more air less egt? but I'm still learnin what these cummins engines are all about. dont want more than 350 for now as I dont have the drive train to take it... but in the future you can bet I'll be lookin for more..:D

Last edited:

ncovey

Diesel Poor
Reaction score
You can do it with a VE motor too. It will just take a little more work, and tuning, but it can be done. The VE's are known for there awesome fuel economy. I like the way they are running before you can even let go of the key.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
how does boost efect egt's? I would have thought more air less egt? but I'm still learnin what these cummins engines are all about. dont want more than 350 for now as I dont have the drive train to take it... but in the future you can bet I'll be lookin for more..:D

You have to look at how many lbs of boost can the turbo create before it starts to super heat the air charge. it has to do with the mapping of the compressor side - it's something that I don't fully understand but I know that if you start getting to far out of it's "happy" spot then the EGT's just skyrocket. When I first got my truck I don't know what it's top boost level was because it would bury a 35psi gauge like no ones business, so bad that you sort of thought that the needle was gonna break off, and trust me when she was pushing those kind of boost numbers my egt was about ready to break the needle against it's spot point. I was following some advice from more experienced cummins guys and backed my boost elbow down so that I stayed with the 35psi range and my egts still climb but nothing like they did...

So you are correct the more air the less the temp but over run what the compressor can handle then the temp just spikes...

Exekiel69

Reaction score
A #10 fuel plate in a 215 p-pumped cummins will get you 330 easy[/QUOTE

like I said earlier there are a wholebunch of ve pumped engines super cheap... I might just have to go p-pump...

If Your aim is 350hp a 1st gen can do that with out major modifications. The 2nd gen is easy to mod compared to the ve and I thought about this when I was doing mine but I can tell You now I don't regret going the 1st gen route at all.

FordCummins

Reaction score
A VE can go 500rwhp if you want it to. 300-350 seems pretty reasonable but the stock turbo will not get you there because the housings are to limited.

GoodB0Y

Reaction score
hey guys thanxs for all the replys... I guess youall have pretty well answered my question and... well... damed if I'm not totally stoked about this swap!!! Any how The biggest reason I asked this question was because I want to use a exhaust housing that exits at a 90 degree angel...see my cummins 12v manifolds thread. I really want this manifold cause it fits real well in the engine compartment and I like the look of it...its hard to explain...haha. But there is some question as to whether it'll allow a wastegate to be used. It sounds like it doable without the gate but it's going to take a bit of tuning.

Now I'm just starting on gathering the parts for this swap (going to buy the engine after xmas) and truthfully wont be starting it till next year (gota save some more pennys) I'm still not too sure what engine I'm going to use but like I said the ve is real nice cause there cheap... but the p-pump is undoubtedly the better choice but some more coin... I'll probably end up with the p-pump cause... well... I wana make some smoke! lol. In any case I'll have to make a choice real soon and when I do I'll be back with some more questions...:D

I've been on allot of other fourms and this is one of the best! Thanxs again

Corey

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I've been on allot of other fourms and this is one of the best! Thanxs again

Corey

Truer words have not been spoken. I think that is why I keep coming around here - plus I still waiting on my PAYCHECK so I can't leave just yet.... LOL

Everyone here tries and it shows. It's not just one person that makes this place so good it's everyone together.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online