30 year old undyed #2?????

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Ok back in 1975 or so my dad bought a gas station that had a grill and grocey store.

The building was built in the 30's or so and had been added on to it many times.

Well dad is gone now and mom sold the building to my brother.
My brother calls and said you remember the tank in the ground?
Yes the one with the locked cap? Yeah that one.
My brother tells me dad quit using the oil heat and let my brother pump the tank out 30 years ago......

and now he wanted to cut the pipe off and bury the tank. But as he cuts the pipe he discovers the tank is full? we used a hand siphon and pull 10 gallons out. smells like varasol, is oily to the touch and kind of yellowish. water does not mix with it and ulsd mixes well with only a purplish tint at the top?

so far i've got about 100 gallons out and a few more to go!!!!!:thumbsup:

sorry so long but what do you think?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Are you considering burning it in your rig? Man, I would think that fuel that old even when mixed with anything wouldn't be fit to run in a vehicle.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest worry with diesel or fuel oil is microbial and algal growth in it. If that is present though it should be obvious...kinda like a bunch of goo and crud..."fuel tank vomit" Let us know how it goes...it would be a shame to waste it. I'd be sure to use plenty of your biodiesel with it to help with lubricity. Good luck.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
dang,If I was closer I would take the full load.Burn it in my rig.It will eat anything.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Oficially , diesel has a storage life between 1-2 years depending on who you ask.
About the only way I would want to try to burn that stuff would be to settle and pre filter it through fine water block filters the same way I pre filter veg , and put a bunch of Kill-em fuel biocide in each batch.
After that, it would probably be ok to blend with fresh fuel for daily running.
I sure wouldn't want to pump it straight in the tanks though.

---------Robert

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diesel feul from those days is what ledgends of "good diesel" is made ofLOL
Seriously though....if it can be filtered to ensure it being "bug free", I'd blend it with some fresh stuff and burn it. With the prices of feul heading these days, I tend to be less picky on what goes in the tank.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
After 30 years settling I don't know about filtering, but filter it, mix with PS gray bottle for cetane and burn as much as You can.;Sweet

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
After 30 years settling I don't know about filtering, but filter it, mix with PS gray bottle for cetane and burn as much as You can.;Sweet

PS 1/2 bottle rear tank and pumped it full, front tank other half bottle BioDiesel test batches and new fuel and 7 or more gallons of it. the only thing i see is some whiteish puffs when i hit the go peddle, other than that it runs great!!!! i guess i need some bug killer and a filtering set up?:thumbsup:

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
we had this happen recently.
a newer IDI we bought needed a bed transfer tank for machinery.
my friend called his dad to ask if he had one handy....

sure enough his dad bought a truck in '77 a dodge, he filled the 100gal tank on the flatbed and drove out to fill up a tractor.... the dodge died on the edge of a field and was left.
we went and picked up the fuel tank with about 80 gallons in it.

we smelt, looked, burned a litte. no algae.... so we filtered it and burned it.

worked out fine.

Drew

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yea i would find out how to properly take care of that tank after you empty it out. underground tanks are bad voodoo big time with the EPA if it were to rust through at all. there is a guy on another forum who is up over 250k IIRC on a personal property when his inground failed.

other wise filter it and run it nice find.;Sweet i would keep an extra filter with you.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
yea i would find out how to properly take care of that tank after you empty it out. underground tanks are bad voodoo big time with the EPA if it were to rust through at all. there is a guy on another forum who is up over 250k IIRC on a personal property when his inground failed.

other wise filter it and run it nice find.;Sweet i would keep an extra filter with you.

He decided to remove the tank and replace the soil so much for the fuel!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online