30 degree glow time??

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'94 factory turbo 7.3 took about 30 seconds glow time w/15 of them cranking. Gray smoke and almost catching.This is at 30 degrees.

My 6.9 would always fire after 7-9 secs. even at 0. Are the 7.3 style plugs different? (They are motorcrafts).

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
30 secs with the glow plugs on? Are they on a manual switch? Just curious.....

I always plug mine in so I am not sure what it would start like without.....as a matter of fact I need to go plug it in.....

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes they are. They have always been a hard start.......10-15 secs. in 70 degree weather.
Compression is good, all over 415 and good batteries. Maybe timing needs to be bumped a little, however sounds right once it is running.

tractorman86

Reaction score
if i remember correctly retarted timing wont sound any different while running, unless it is WAY off. i could be way wrong

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
30 secs with the glow plugs on? Are they on a manual switch? Just curious.....

I always plug mine in so I am not sure what it would start like without.....as a matter of fact I need to go plug it in.....

At what temps do you plug in or do you always plug in?
I know that I start plugging in at 0C or 32F and from -10C on down on top of plugging in the block heater I have a recirc heater and pan stick on heaters one for the oil pan and one for the tranny (and i am considereing one for my transfer case and one for each diff) that are on timers to start 1hr before I need to start my truck. I have also been considering adding a heated pre-oiler (from amsoil i will power it with the glow plug circuit) and eliminating the oil pan heater when I do my rebuild.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have timing or pump issues... The only times I ever used 30 seconds of glow time was when I forgot to plug my truck in at -30(somehow managed to do that at least 4-5 times a winter, go inside and intend on going back out, and not go back out) and then it would be glows and it would start up like I had it plugged in, only I then got to listen to it make noises that made me pretty certain it hated me... LOL
Otherwise, below -15C(5F,) it is running before it gets unplugged, and is plugged before it shuts down, my PSD got the same treatment, and so will my CTD.
Started the PSD up at -38 on the glows alone once after 3 days of sitting with daytime highs of -35... Block heater cord shorted out... Oops...

The 7.3 that we put in my buddy's truck was hard to start warm and a bear cold, timing was retarded some, but, the main culprit was the IP. Replaced it, and it was MUCH more cold start friendly.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
at 28 degrees here this morning I had to cycle my plugs twice on the manual switch, bout 9 seconds each time for it to kick over. It was a little chilly..... ice all down my truck and everything.......

Try plugging it in?

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
At what temps do you plug in or do you always plug in?

I plug mine in anytime its below 50F. I started doing that back when I lived in North Dakota. I like going out and having it start right up and not cranking on it. As a bonus the heat comes on immediately keeping me toasty warm and these "COLD" 35F mornings....lol....I actually miss the northland a whole bunch.....

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies.

I usually do not plug in because the 6.9 that came out of this '86 F350 never needed it, just glows. I would, however, aim an industrial torpedo heater under the truck on 0F or colder mornings so that my ride wouldn't hate me.

So this newly installed 7.3 surprized me with the smokey, sputtering and not catching performance. I do not like to run glows that long and wouldn't ever do it with 6.9.

I'll consider bumping the timing a few degrees after I see any other comments that may come in.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Sam, you'll eventually regret firing the GP's twice bit. My mom does that, I cant get it through her head that once is enough, twice burns the plugs up. We had to put new GP's in both trucks she's been driving this last weekend because neither of them would hardly start in the morning anymore, and its still 20* here in the morning, not bad at all yet.

Hopefully calvin will chime in, because I thought he said he had a Glow Time Chart for average temps, so maybe he'll let us in on the little secret.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
30 seconds of on time? :eek: Unless your running constant duty plugs, the standard factory ZD-9's or whatever will not survive that kind of treatment. 15 seconds is the max I would ever want to go, and it doesn't matter what the temp is out, when you put 12 volts and 900 amps into 8 six volt glow plugs, they are going to get hot, and get hot NOW. 7.3's have offset glow plugs, which is the reason they start harder.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
When all my plugs are operational (6.9l) she starts right up no matter the temp outside. Idles rough for a while. The block heater makes it all the easier - and the truck heater kicks in fast as heck. I believe it's easier on the engine as well. Saves the starter too.

When I tested all my pulled gp's last week - 7/8 dead - it took a full 8 seconds for them to get a good glow going. There have been times when I cycle them for 8 seconds, then crank for 10, let it rest a good 30 seconds, hit the button for another 8 seconds and crank 10 seconds again.

Are the assembled saying that you should only cycle the gp's once in a starting session?

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coda

Pulled several glow plugs to check on the condition, everything was fine.

Repaired the glow harness so that that connectors to the plugs were on tight, rather than just looking tight!

I believe that was the crux of the problem. Still takes more glow than the original 6.9 but I'll go with Agnem's statement that 7.3 plug has a different location therefore takes more glow.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Since replacing my 7 dead gp's and installing the pushbutton on my 6.9 it only takes one 8 second cycle to git'er up and purring even without the block heater with overnight temps below freezing.

Anyone have a part number for the 6.9 harness? Or the P/N for the female connectors that I might build my own?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online