30 degree glow time??

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at 28 degrees here this morning I had to cycle my plugs twice on the manual switch, bout 9 seconds each time for it to kick over. It was a little chilly..... ice all down my truck and everything.......

Try plugging it in?
Sam, why only 9 seconds of glow time? My truck regularly glows for near 20 seconds, naturally she starts right up afterwards. Why not lave the controller do its thing? I've only used my manual switch a few times when I had two dead plugs so controller wouldn't heat the rest, after installing a full set of ZD-9s I never had to touch it again.

30 seconds of on time? :eek: Unless your running constant duty plugs, the standard factory ZD-9's or whatever will not survive that kind of treatment. 15 seconds is the max I would ever want to go, and it doesn't matter what the temp is out, when you put 12 volts and 900 amps into 8 six volt glow plugs, they are going to get hot, and get hot NOW. 7.3's have offset glow plugs, which is the reason they start harder.
Mel, when I was looking any my buddy's 6.9 the glowplugs seem to be on the exact same location as those in my 7.3, no difference at all. Also I thought the current is 200A, just think about the size of the starter cable and the fact it draws about 300A - if the glowplugs did indeed pull 900A those tiny wires that feed them would not hold up for long.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These posts are why this site is great, a wealth of information.

I am also looking for engine/glowplug harnesses. Both the 6.9 style and the 7.3 bullet style if anyone has them. I know the dealer price was prohibitive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online