2wd to 4wd conversion. Info needed!

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
I'm thinking about swapping my dually over to 4wd just for convenience. I like 4wd to be there when I need it. What all is needed for this swap? It will be a straight axle not IFS. Will a Dana 44 work? Will I need to swap trannys so the t-case will bolt up? Really just need any info, advice and pictures if possible on this swap. THANKS!!

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Nooooo they don't have dully hubs for the 44, plus if you did stuff a 44 under there you will probably need to change the ball joints every 10 yards, or it would just brake in half

O ok lol didn't know. So d60 for sure! I seen an add in the show n tell earlier ford 1 ton axles 100 each have front and back so I'll call em in the morning and see what they are.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't done this mod, but from what I've read, it's a bit more complicated than just bolting in a new front axle. The frame is different on your truck than a comparable 4X4. I believe you will need to cut and weld your frame in order for it to accept a front axle, but I'm not sure on the details.
I do know you will need a new tranny, the four wheel drive version has a married t-case.
Unless you've got a Dana 44 lying around, I'd find a Dana 60 to do the swap with. For all the work you'll need to do in order to convert your truck, I think it would be better to have the beefier front axle.
There's some on here who have done this mod and will be along shortly with more helpful information. Good luck.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
I haven't done this mod, but from what I've read, it's a bit more complicated than just bolting in a new front axle. The frame is different on your truck than a comparable 4X4. I believe you will need to cut and weld your frame in order for it to accept a front axle, but I'm not sure on the details.
I do know you will need a new tranny, the four wheel drive version has a married t-case.
Unless you've got a Dana 44 lying around, I'd find a Dana 60 to do the swap with. For all the work you'll need to do in order to convert your truck, I think it would be better to have the beefier front axle.
There's some on here who have done this mod and will be along shortly with more helpful information. Good luck.

I've got a Cousin that's a big ford guy that had all kinds of ford part laying around. I'll see if he can find me a d60. If pull a part has one it will be $220 plus me pulling it out

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
oh yea you have the coil front suspension, that makes it more complicated, it would be easier to find a 4x4 truck

12vctd

Reaction score
A ball joint d60 will be fine, as far as the swap I have done this for a few people back when i was heavy into the rockcrawling scene., I simply fabbed my leaf spring mounts copying a ORU kit that a friend had. its not that hard, but its def not bolt up. And just getting the parts at the right price is the most important step. As far as the d60's for 220 bucks I am all over this, as they normally sell for around 600 to 800 for a balljoint to 1k for a kingpin axle, there are good deals but 220 is a steal. but heres a few reads for you

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/512325-2wd-to-4wd-conversion.html
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f29/2wd-4wd-conversion-216550/
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/c...-1994-f-350-4wd-4-dr-dually-cummins-swap.html
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=882248#post11313538

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cousins used 44 solid axles several times under lifted diesels with monster tires. If you had seen what was done to those trucks without anything breaking you would be amazed.

12vctd

Reaction score
The thing is dana 44's weren't used in any duallys that I know so he would have to either run 2 diff rims, or buy a adapter for the front. Plus if your gonna spend the money and do the swap why put a axle under a truck that doesn't have the load capability that the rest of the truck does. He has a dually F350 so it just seems pointless to use a axle that most are rated at 3500lbs, i think some dodge 44's were rated at 3800 not sure this early in the am. But even your SRW d60 is rated at 4500lbs. again just my .02. I too have seen trucks a 87 chevy suburban to be exact with a 5.9 cummins swap on 10bolt axles and the owner stated he had no problems.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And on that note, ^ a guy on FullSizeBronco put a 600+hp ******** into a 1996 Bronco, he is at 10-12k miles on the swap, and still running an 8.8/TTB44. Doesn't really wheel it, and only a 285/75/16 tire.. but still.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Ok, first off you are correct, you're tranny will not bolt up to a transfer case unless you change the output shaft or you have a tranny brake (parking brake on the tranny like the F-SuperDuty)-unlikely but possible. So you will need to change that, or use a divorced transfer case. The D44 will support it as long as you don't do anything stupid, heck Mel has an IDI in a Bronco. The Frames are different, right where the front spring hanger would be on a 4X4 our frames (2wd) are flat where the 4X4's have a dimple for the shackle, I'm in the middle of this swap, currently pulling the axle out of the parts truck. I'll take some pictures and make a write up when I'm done.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i did my chevy i had to make everything and i use a divorced np 205 the only big problem is i broke my trans yoke 200 miles away in bfe

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
na man i love the truck! i may not ever convert it but id like to have the options open to do so. id like to be able to mud some mud/snow tires on the back for the winter.

I believe the easiest thing for you to do would be get a full F350 4x4 and switch all the parts over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online