$2500 94 ford

mariobusalacch

Reaction score
Soryy I didn't post this earlier, but I was just to excited to get this thing running, but here it it now! I am a proud new owner of a 94 turbo charged diesel,my first one! I saw this truck up the street from me, caked in dirt and spider webs so I asked if they were selling it, long story short I picked it up for 2500, thanks to towcat..........also thanks to towcat and you guys it runs beautifully now. First it would take forever to start then it would just die right away unless u held the acc., after about 5 min of that u could let off and it would idle rough...well alls I did was drain the tanks and fill them up with injector cleaner, and put in a new fuel filter. Then I draind the coolant and refilled that....I starteds it to let it idle through, just let it get use to running, then a coolant line cracked, replace that, then next a fuel line cracked so I replaced that, I bought extra of both just in case.........the next problem was the gov springs were sticking, thanks to your guys help I found this out, so I put some5w oil in the fuel, not much, and literally after driving it around for 5 min the hard idle, dieing, and white smoke stopped. It runs great, I feel like it runs as good as a new truck! I am really happy and just thought id let you all no and thank you all for your help, exp. Towcat. Future plans, I'm going to put in new injectors, injector pump and return lines, and get some 5in straight pipes with a bigger exhaust.....thanks again for all your help, I will get pics up soon!

Thanks again, mario

Ps. Truck has 290k with new steering box, new bearings, and some more and the engine has abou 80k....worth it?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....worth it?
now that's funny considering what you just bagged.;Sweet CC, 4x4, SRW, XLT......
guys, it's a factory turbo truck. It is going to need some attention, like all the hoses and belt.
only area I see potential problems other than PM work, is the E4DOA and the autolock hubs. Otherwise, he bagged a bulletproof truck;Sweet
did you scrub the moss off the hood?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Nice!

Now for your prize.......................................

Stick around. We'll help ya spend more of your money.:thumbsup:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Don't be scared of the E4OD I never had any trouble with mine. I have a moto for automatic trannies that has not let me down yet.

Keep the fluid happy by keeping it changed, cool and clean.

how I do this is with a huge aux cooler that is plumbed in after the stock one in the lower portion of the radiator - bigger the better. An inline filter before any of the coolers (front line on the side of the tranny is the out to cooler line). then just keep an eye on the temp and don't let it get too hot.

My fluid path....

Out of the tranny to a >>>Perma Cool Transmission filter kit<<< that houses the temp probe as well. then from there it went to the bottom of the radiator cooler (it's a liquid to liquid cooler which is highly effect) then from there to the aux cooler strapped in front of the Rad/AC condenser combo then finally back to the tranny (rearward line). Then just keep the temps below 225 degrees and you'll be fine. Most folks will tell you 200 degrees but they are taking their temp readings after the coolers in the pan and with my set up you are taking them BEFORE any cooling happens. I always felt that the hot line reading was more accurate (could be wrong but that is how I felt). I checked with 3 tranny shops in town about the temp range for my setup and they all said the same thing. If she got above that and she did - but only when I was backing the trailer into it's parking spot at the house (had to back up a hill) I would just stop and put her in park and let the engine idle until the fluid had cooled below 200 degrees then would finish putting the trailer away. I would see the temps climb that high when coming off the highway and hitting stop and go traffic but as soon as I would get moving from the stop light they would come right down so I didn't have to pull over there. The reason for letting the engine to idle while it cools down is because the tranny is still pumping the fluid around so that the coolers can do their job, if you just shut the truck off you trap the heat in the tranny.

Old Mister Bill had good luck with the E4OD as well, he didn't use a aux filter but used 2 aux coolers plumbed in parallel - difference between Bill and I was that Bill was hauling equipment that was much much heavier than my 10k travel trailer.

the Perma Cool set up uses standard ford gasser oil filter. I liked it because it was spin on, spin off. I would change my fluid anytime that it had gotten too hot too many times. Typically that would be over 245 degrees even once or about 3-4 times if it tickled 240ish.... with my set up you could drive all day long at 225 and not hurt the tranny.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Oh and to change the fluid when needed with no mess I would pop off the rubber line headed back to the tranny and aim it into a jug then start the truck and wait for the line to spudder. Then shut the truck off and put some fluid down the dipstick and repeat I would do this until I have pumped out what was supposed to be held in the tranny then just top it off and enjoy.... I learned that from one of the engineers that was on the design team for the E4OD - he used to be on another website until Ford got into a peeing match with the website and found out he was on there helping people out - he got his fingers slapped.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86