24V from batts...

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
coils will be valve specific, if im not mistaken you can feed 12v to those coils and it will work just be slower spooling and require twice the amperage to produce the amps to deliver the wattage on the coil

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He tried that. Typically manufacturers will produce the same valve with different coils. Sometimes changing them is as simple as a snap ring.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most solenoids have a circular tag on them with the manufactures name and etc., if so just contact them as to where you can buy the 12VDC coils, then change them out. A 12vdc coil will pull twice the current as the 24V will, but that should be low, that only happens for a split second until the armature is seated.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look up 12v to 24v battery charger systems from large Bus chassis like Blue bird or greyhound. I have worked on some with a converter type chargers that will keep the 24 volt starter motor batteries charged from the 12 volt alt that runs the (House Batteries) on the Motor Home or buss system. also Motor Home's use 12 volt hydraulic valves for the leveling and slide room systems. They have nice pic's on the web you might find something there.

Last edited:

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate all the ideas guys and I plan on implementing something if I cant pull 24V from my second batt. I really want some opinions on if I switch the cables like in the second diagram will it burn my truck down. It would be temporary just while I use the winch so it will just charge like normal every day.

Attachments

• 12-24.png
    12-24.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as nothing else is hooked to that positive terminal,i dont see a problem. If it were me and I weren't going to use a transformer or mod the winch, I'd find a double pole, double throw switch and do this:
You must be registered for see images attach

It just removes the possibility of screwing up something while you are moving cables. Open the hood, flip the switch and happy winching. It will need to be hefty to deal with the starter loads.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will test it out by removing the power lead at the starter solenoid and see if it stays at 12V in that config.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate all the ideas guys and I plan on implementing something if I cant pull 24V from my second batt. I really want some opinions on if I switch the cables like in the second diagram will it burn my truck down. It would be temporary just while I use the winch so it will just charge like normal every day.

I looked at your diagram a little more closely, and it's basically the same thing I had, only done a little differently. If you want 24v to just run the coils, you can get one of these. They work well, I used one to get 12v on a 6x6 military truck. We ran the trailer brake control, trailer lights, and dump bed lights with it, and also the tarp motor for the dump bed with it. All that was added on and was 12v. The rest of the truck was 24 volt, including the alternator.

http://www.jameco.com/1/1/24390-psdc20-24vdc-12vdc-converter-20a-compact-design-car-use.html

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easiest and safest thing to do is going to be running some sort of voltage converter to run your solenoids. Shouldn't need more than a few amps.

All these schemes of multiple batteries and creative wiring just sounds complicated a a recipe for a screw up if you ask me. Way to easy to forget to unhook something and then you're shorting out your batteries or truck electrical system.

My approach would be to get a cheap ~300+W inverter, run that off your existing 12 volt system and then step that down to 24V. Something like this might work, though I'm not 100% sure 3.5A is enough. Most likely it is, but you'd want to measure the amp draw of those solenoids. http://www.electronicsurplus.com/Item/156932/Cincon%20Electronics%20-%20Power%20supply_%20AC%20adapter_%20Out_%2028VDC%203_54A_%20-%20TR100A280-1E13/

Also, solenoids should work on AC or DC, so if you run the inverter then all you'd need is a 120 to 24v transformer.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
solenoids are NOT ac and dc, its one or the other, been down that bumpy road the hard way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle