2004 VW Jetta TDI

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Tommorw, I'm driving to Dallas and picking it up. Only drawback is its a automatic, but if/when it ***** out I will try to find a 5 speed to swap in. Car has 95K miles on it.

Hopefully I can squeeze 40-45mpg out of it, if it was a manual I would want more.

Trying to haggle dealer down to the $8750 range.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The autos we've had don't generally get above 38 on the highway. Maybe a little more if you baby it a lot. Now i usually get 46 doing 80-85 in mine. My dad gets around 54-58in his doing 60 with te AC off on the highway.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
get a hold of "02autowag" via PM. he runs a VW TDI board and his front yard is overrun with TDI's he's a good wealth of knowledge.;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The autos we've had don't generally get above 38 on the highway. Maybe a little more if you baby it a lot. Now i usually get 46 doing 80-85 in mine. My dad gets around 54-58in his doing 60 with te AC off on the highway.

Better than 14mpg in the truck, and 28mpg in the Kia. Drove 100 miles home and it just got off the full mark.

Now I got to talk them down for several issues. First, front tires are bald. No biggy. The glove box lid is broken (handle broken off) and is held in place with velcro, nice. No center consold (or armrest, whatever you want to call it. Other than that, its perfectly fine. Will do a timing belt on it ASAP, along with an oil change. But I'm feeling poor again LOL

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True. To get the timing you will need a computer with vagcom software as well as,the tools to do it

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not bad on the mpgs, with my manual I just came off of full today at 180 miles. Its amazing what difference a tranny makes.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I need ***-COM to do a timing belt swap?
Among other things...I'd suggest doing a search on TDIClub.com to get an idea of what all's involved. It's NOT a simple matter of lining up the marks, slipping on the new belt, and calling it good...multiple engines have been ruined that way. Also, in case you didn't know, you need a special oil for that engine...Delo 15W-40 won't cut it. IIRC one of the potential victims of incorrect oil on a PD engine is the camshaft :(

I would suggest spending some quality time looking through this forum: http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

BTW, that's a beautiful looking car...congrats! ;Sweet I'm actively searching for an '01-'03 at the moment...I love my M-B, but would like something that does better on fuel...

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the previous owner tell you about the vent button in the fill neck? It is the only way to fill to the very brim of the neck. It is at the top of the neck about 3inches back and will allow 2-3 more gallons of fuel.

I can for a little over 15 gallons in mine and have about 380 miles with an 1/8 of a tank before half.

One thing we found with n auto is that highly advanced timing doesn't help the mpgs like with the manual. If you resoftware *** com software you can actually increase fuel input off the line.

There nice little cars but suffer from a lack of HP lol. My next investment will be a tuner. I think 125 will be more than adaquate to move mine down the road nicely.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
This is a BEW engine so it's rated at 100hp/177ft lbs. Good to know on the fill up. Mary filled up so it wasn't topped off

FordGuy100

Reaction score
First fill was roughly 505miles and 13.008 gallons, so about 38.5mpg. That's driving back from Dallas, and then 50/50 mic highway (70mph) and town driving.

Car threw a P0299 underboost code. Ended up being a vacuum line going to the VNT actuator, fixed it and we now have boost!

I'm half tempted to sell my cummins and go buy another TDI (ALH + manual this time though)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7