New Trubo on 2004 Jetta

RDieselKid84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well we finally got the right trubo for this Jetta,the data plate said it was a ALH but it was a newer one I think it was a BCM. Well eight hours of labor and it's running again on its own power, I can work on the idi's but these newer VW's are something else, glad to have a good friend who works on all kinds of vehicles to help. Tomorrow for a test drive and see if it will run, bought it for the cost of the fuel pump in the tank and the labor. Will have the cost of the trubo and the oil and filter, and the cleaner that it took to clean all the oil out of the after cooler must have been a quart it. Will check back later today.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had a 2003 ALH and glow plugs failed, it was a solid CEL not the flashing GP indicator. If you have access to a VCDS that would be ideal. Like previously mentioned the harness would be a good next step but I vaguely remember hearing stories about these PD engines needing some kind of calibration after a turbo replacement. I’m not 100% certain on it though. Does it lose power like the PCM is opening the wastegate of the turbo?

RDieselKid84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, haven't had a chance to run it down the road yet. Will give it a run tomorrow and see what happens.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I've not had a newer Jetta, but on my 91 Mk2 Jetta, the flashing GP light was the water in fuel indicator. Not sure on the new ones.

I know on the older ones, they liked to use indicator lights for multiple things and keep the number of lights limited. Like there was only 1 turn signal light. It blinked to let you know that a turn signal was on, it was your responsibility to know which direction was flashing. The WTS (Glow Plug) light, solid ws the plugs running, flashing was Water In Fuel. The overtemp light, solid was an overheat, blinking was low on coolant.......

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've not had a newer Jetta, but on my 91 Mk2 Jetta, the flashing GP light was the water in fuel indicator. Not sure on the new ones.

I know on the older ones, they liked to use indicator lights for multiple things and keep the number of lights limited. Like there was only 1 turn signal light. It blinked to let you know that a turn signal was on, it was your responsibility to know which direction was flashing. The WTS (Glow Plug) light, solid ws the plugs running, flashing was Water In Fuel. The overtemp light, solid was an overheat, blinking was low on coolant.......

When I did my turbo I didn't need to do anything but I did plug In my vagcom and check all the turbo perameters

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Did you have engine cranking before it starts? 04's have a BEW engine, PD series TDI. Factory turbo is a KP39 borg warner.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a bit of digging and. Blinking glow plugs light can be a lot of different things from what I gathered it's to scare you to get the codes read but good news it didn't sound like it was anything serious did you ever rember the code ? And how did it run when I did my turbo it ran kinda sluggish for about 10 miles

RDieselKid84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I drove it home, you would have thought I was laying down a smoke screen for a battleship in the three miles I drove. The exhaust system must have been full

RDieselKid84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil. it ran fine just need to have the codes cleared and a good run to see if all is good with it. Thanks for all the info and help. I can fix the Mk1 VW's I have a rabbit truck that I have up graded with GTI flares and front air dam and wheels.

RDieselKid84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went and had the codes checked, it shows to have high MAST AIr temp, cleared the codes and they came back. Ordered a new MAST, just wateing for it to see if it will fix it. The GP light is still blinking, I checked the GP Cable and it was rotten so I quest it is bad so order one also. Hope this will fix the problems.

RDieselKid84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GP light is still blinking after I replaced the harness, where to now. Going to have the codes cleared again, hope this will do it. I also replaced the mast air.

RDieselKid84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found the problems with the engine code light, it was the air intake temp sensor. It had a bad connection and that cleared the problems and now it runs like it should. The GP light is still blinking but the code is for a brake light switch I changed it today so now I have to clear the code for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online