2000 excursion 6.8 V10

Travis91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad has this truck and he wanting to know the procedures for changing the plugs and coils..
and what brands to go with?

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
My dad has this truck and he wanting to know the procedures for changing the plugs and coils..
and what brands to go with?

I paid the extra and used Iridium plugs (100,000 mile warranty). Be VERY careful with the torque of the plugs... TOO LOOSE will rattle the plug out and TOO TIGHT will strip the threads of the head. Either way, the outcome will be bad. I have just over 12,000 miles on mine since my tune-up. I didn't replace the coil packs, because I was told that the coil packs only need replaced when they quit working, so I'm not able to help you with that part of your question. I would have to look the specs up again, but I believe I torqed the plugs to 18 ft. lbs. and so far no issues, and all 10 plugs are still in the engine. ;Sweet

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Procedure. Pull things out of the way like the intake pipe. Yank the small (I think its 7mm) bolt out that holds the coil pack to the intake. Pull the coil pack out. Remove the spark plug. Place some antisize on the threads of the gapped plugs and install them. OR...OR...take them to someone who can put thread certs in them and call it a day. Itll be about $200 for it, but well worth it.

SWS