20 degrees outside, truck starts like it's 80 out there-

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
:D
I just wanted to brag a little bit. Last year I was struggling with a weak starter, leaky return lines, a fried block heater cord that dropped power to my apartment, burnt up glowplugs. The year before that my truck was hooked on the juice, it would only start with a blast of get-er-goin fluid.

It's taken two years, and a new DB electric starter, new glowplugs, new injectors, rebuilt IP, new return lines, timing set twice on two different engines, and the 7.3 IDIT engine being replaced with a 6.9 to get to where I can start my truck within a second of cranking with it being 20 degrees outside. :sly

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
And all that work was well worth it wasn't it... Nothing like the sound of these monster engines jumping to life on a cold morning start.... Music to my ears everytime..

Black dawg

Reaction score
I wish mine started that good. I have seen very few 7.3 that start very very easily, but most all 6.9 motors that I have dealt with start like that.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Im all for glow plugs, but cold cylinders and thick oil cause more cylinder wear than you think.
I had the opportunity to see what No block heater and all glow plug starts do for wear in a new engine.
With 7000 miles on a fresh build I had to remove engine and do it again.
Noticing all the wear at the top of the cylinder got me paying attention to my habit of using the glow plugs only.

Now with my refreshened engine I use only the block heater to start my truck wich makes for immediate starts
with no smoke at startup.

Not to mention all the saved fuel from cold oil starts.

Javier

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just freshened my truck up with new IP and injectors, can't believe how well it starts. Sounds like someone flick a switch and turned the engine sound on. I also put synthetic oil in it for the first time, I won't really know how much of a difference that makes until it gets *cold* here. 20F is warm by my standards though ;Really. I don't use the block heater until it is below -20 celcius (-4 F)

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the block heater every morning and I live in Miami Fl

Cold start will wear on your cylinders even using the best synthetic oils.

Been there done that.

I use 10W30 SAE 30 weight synthetic in my 7.3

If I dont use the block heater it spins for about 10 seconds before it starts and belches out a ton of smoke.

Block heater starts are instant with no smoke.

Javier

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 7.3 hates anything below 70 deg i think, just put new IP and injectors on, now having to do glow plugs and starter cause both are about toast.. hopefully aftet doing all that i won't have any issues starting the beast on these cold 50deg FL winter mornings!!! oh and right now its like 75 outside...

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced 2 burned injectors. It starts better, but there is room for improvement. I'll replace the other 6 in the next few weeks.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in the 30's and mine starts like crap. I need to update my thread but been working out a few kinks in the meantime. It chokes like it's not getting fuel until a second round of glow plugs, then it's up an at em. shug damn cold weather

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-8 Cel today, I had to do a few crank times....cycle plugs....crank....wait...cycle, crank wait...but fired up and ran great...I'd love to get some serious ass kicking group 31's and some way of eliminating the damn DRL till truck starts..but eh...got good spin with my optima and big wet cell...

Note to self...

NEW G31's ASAP....maybe new canadian tyre Odyssey clone!

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish mine started that good. I have seen very few 7.3 that start very very easily, but most all 6.9 motors that I have dealt with start like that.

I was wondering about this. I have gone through and tested my GP system, new batteries and it turns over fast......just takes a bit to start on just GP's when temp is below freezing. Gonna check IP timing in the next couple of weeks.

With the block heater it fires immediatly.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:D
I just wanted to brag a little bit. Last year I was struggling with a weak starter, leaky return lines, a fried block heater cord that dropped power to my apartment, burnt up glowplugs. The year before that my truck was hooked on the juice, it would only start with a blast of get-er-goin fluid.

It's taken two years, and a new DB electric starter, new glowplugs, new injectors, rebuilt IP, new return lines, timing set twice on two different engines, and the 7.3 IDIT engine being replaced with a 6.9 to get to where I can start my truck within a second of cranking with it being 20 degrees outside. :sly

You must be registered for see images attach
i knew there was a reason why it felt uncomfortably cold when I was driving home @4am.

Reaction score
Dropped into the 30s overnight here in SoCal (about as cold as we get), but the truck still fired quick as ever after I let the GPs cycle. SO much nicer than it was last February when I bought it, but that was when I had a bunch of fried GPs.

Mike

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online