2 wheel drive LOW range? Quick question...

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean? I've shifted in and out of 4hi without the hubs locked while rolling a bunch of times (diagnosing some 4x4 noises). What's supposed to happen? Or do you just mean you won't actually get 4x4 if you were expecting it?

Tim.
You're slamming the front driveline from not rotating to rotating at the same speed as your rear driveshaft if the hubs are not locked. With the hub liked, the front driveline is already spinning, so its not a big deal.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4lo, 4.10s, idling in first gear is the tractor for dragging stuff around the shop. Walk alongside, and steer from the window

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only downside to running 4-lo with the hubs not locked is the additional torque you are putting on the driveshaft and u-joints. If the rear end drops in a rut, gets in a bind, etc. and / or you make an aggressive move to get out parts are more likely to break.

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4lo, 4.10s, idling in first gear is the tractor for dragging stuff around the shop. Walk alongside, and steer from the window
Also works great for picking up hay if you are down a truck driver

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
done this plenty, works great backing up slowly and safely for a trailer p/u so you don't bank the ball on hitch LOL

Offers a great deal of control. Bottom line it's ok in moderation and so long as stopped to shift to 4H/2H

JM2CW

Al

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're slamming the front driveline from not rotating to rotating at the same speed as your rear driveshaft if the hubs are not locked. With the hub liked, the front driveline is already spinning, so its not a big deal.

I see. Guess I was never moving fast enough for it to care.

Tim.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Now the unanswered question. I'm not sure what the neutral position is for, but when flat towing with a zf5, you should put the transfer case in neutral as well as the transmission. I think it's because the zf5 is like an automatic and won't lube the bearings being towed in neutral. I've seen a couple that had locked up because of this. The transfer case has an oil pump that works off of the rear output. As long as it's turning, oil is being pumped and the rear output is turning when the truck is moving unless the rear driveshaft has been disconnected.

MandolinMan

Reaction score
Somewhere I read or was told that on really cold days the transfer case could be put in neutral then the transmission put in gear and slowly revved to warm the tranny. Is this true?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somewhere I read or was told that on really cold days the transfer case could be put in neutral then the transmission put in gear and slowly revved to warm the tranny. Is this true?

You could do that, but with a automatic if you do that you will have to turn the engine back off to get the transfer case out of neutral without it scraping, clunking and crunching. You can push in on the clutch and wait a few seconds for a manual tranny to stop but there is no way to really stop a automatic completely and if you try to put the automatic in park, you will get more clicking crunching and clunking.