2 wheel drive LOW range? Quick question...

MandolinMan

Reaction score
Just had a quick question:

Wondering if it would be alright to shift into the 4Lo range with the front hubs unlocked? Not on a daily basis or anything just for limited applications like getting a couple of hay-wagons moving out of a field. This essentially gives me 2 wheel drive LOW range, correct? Mainly I ask for situations where 4x4 isn't needed, but the low range would be desirable to get the load moving. If I did this, could I shift back into 2HI while rolling in neutral at say 15MPH? Using Lo range just to get me moving then shifting back into 2Hi?

I can't see how it would hurt, but then again those are the words spoken before something gets screwed up. So just thought I'd ask.

Thanks, Aaron

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure you can shift into 2LO, but you will still be in 4WD, as long as the hubs are not locked, the front drive shaft will just not drive the front wheels. I think you have to stop in neutral to shift out of 2LO. But why would you not want 4WD in that situation is beyond me.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shifting from 2hi to 4hi on the fly is ok. Anytime you go from hi to low or low to hi you should be stopped.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
You not only need to be stopped, but you should have the transmission in gear with the clutch pressed down (manual) or in park (auto.) Once you let the clutch out or shift into gear with the transfer cause in neutral, it takes a LONG time for things to stop spinning in there without a certain amount of grinding needed...

MandolinMan

Reaction score
Alright, thanks. I knew that the truck had to be stopped to shift into low range I guess it makes sense that it must be stopped to shift back into HI.

OLDBULL8-
But why would you not want 4WD in that situation is beyond me.

Because additional traction wouldn't be needed. The ground is often hard as rock in hay season. However, The lower gear range would be helpful.

Another scenario would be ascending a steep hill with a trailer on a back country road where there's no time to pick of speed. Your on dry pavement, 4x4 isn't needed, but low range would be easier on the powertrain because your hitting the hill rather slow because there's a stop sign 100ft. before the hill begins.

Again, not a situation I find myself in often. Just wondering if I could shift into low range hubs unlocked, not for 4x4 but for the lower gearing, before I climbed the hypothetical hill mentioned above with my trailer. Just past the top of the hill, I stop, shift back into 2Hi, and continue on my way.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright, thanks. I knew that the truck had to be stopped to shift into low range I guess it makes sense that it must be stopped to shift back into HI.

OLDBULL8-

Because additional traction wouldn't be needed. The ground is often hard as rock in hay season. However, The lower gear range would be helpful.

Another scenario would be ascending a steep hill with a trailer on a back country road where there's no time to pick of speed. Your on dry pavement, 4x4 isn't needed, but low range would be easier on the powertrain because your hitting the hill rather slow because there's a stop sign 100ft. before the hill begins.

Again, not a situation I find myself in often. Just wondering if I could shift into low range hubs unlocked, not for 4x4 but for the lower gearing, before I climbed the hypothetical hill mentioned above with my trailer. Just past the top of the hill, I stop, shift back into 2Hi, and continue on my way.

I agree. I use my 4-LO sometimes when I am on a steep incline on flat dry ground. Mostly around campus when I'm delivering platforms and av equipment. It really is useful, and no need for full 4x4, it would be a pain to have to climb out and lock and unlock the hubs that often.

Sent from my cyborg implant

MandolinMan

Reaction score
Also, what is the neutral position for? I've only used electric push button type 4x4 before, which had no neutral position. Thinking about it today got me to wondering when the neutral position would be used?

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. I use my 4-LO sometimes when I am on a steep incline on flat dry ground. Mostly around campus when I'm delivering platforms and av equipment. It really is useful, and no need for full 4x4, it would be a pain to have to climb out and lock and unlock the hubs that often.

+1 This. I use it all the time to move heavy trailers around, especially in tight situations. You get the advantage of the lower gearing (zf5/3.55s for me) without all the stress on the front drive line.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
X2. Can't change the gear ratio on the fly.
AHEM! there's a difference between "can't" and "not supposed to" ;Poke very, very seldom is my truck stopped when I shift between hi and lo

Also, what is the neutral position for? I've only used electric push button type 4x4 before, which had no neutral position. Thinking about it today got me to wondering when the neutral position would be used?
flat towing the truck, if the trans is in neutral the transfer case is still spun by the wheels, putting the transfer case in neutral minimizes what spins

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
yes but its like floating a trans and not rev matching. its going to grind and that is not good for the gears at all, not saying I have never done it in the toyota but i damn sure dont make a habit of it

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
For what it's worth I use 4 LO range all the time when jockeying the fifth wheel into tight spots. Since I am usually in the RV park I leave the hubs unlocked as to avoid binding. Not only does it work well since on a manual trans its either using a lower range or riding the clutch, but I believe it's preferred to use low range as opposed to smoking the clutch...

;Sweet

Just remember my earlier post about only shifting into neutral on the transfer case if the truck is in gear with the clutch pushed down...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't actually done it, but I've thought about trying that...for that matter, for a vehicle with 3.55 gears and if you're sticking to surface streets, you could theoretically keep it in 4L (you'd be at 3100 RPM at 40 mph with a ZF in 5th gear, the transfer case in 4L, and stock tires); whether that's a good idea or not, I'm not sure. I've seen some vehicles that list a maximum safe speed in 4L (not sure if it's for the engine's sake or if it's possible to overspeed the front part of the transfer case?), but I've checked two separate Ford owner's manuals and haven't seen anything about a maximum speed...just mind the governor.

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only if the front hubs are locked in. Believe me you will know it if you forget this important step.

What do you mean? I've shifted in and out of 4hi without the hubs locked while rolling a bunch of times (diagnosing some 4x4 noises). What's supposed to happen? Or do you just mean you won't actually get 4x4 if you were expecting it?

What is the gear ratio between 4hi and 4lo anyway?

Tim.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online