2 Speed Rear Ends

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Because I have been thinking about a 2 speed rear end some questions have poped up. On my truck the speedo cable gets its reading off the tailshaft of the trans or Gear Vendors in my case. If I had a 2 speed rear end where would thw speedo pickup be?? I'm thinking it would have to be the rear end but... How If it is a 2 speed setup. Would it be off an axle or what?? Just thinking here. Not designing anything for now...;p

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They make an electric box taht shifts the percentage that the rear has. Lots of them on 2 speed mediem duty trucks. Not perfectly accurate in both ranges but pretty close. Not close enough to get out of a ticket way back when but I do tend to haul ass.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok Gary.....now whats up.....double OD and split diff......? why not just by a single axle full size semi...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Here's some drooling supplies for you :D
Keep in mind those two speed axles generally come in ratios that are quite a bit lower than what you are used to if thinking about current truck, you'd kill your empty mileage big time, but you could have a range that would put a seriously reduced load on the whole works when towing heavy and it would allow you to use the range of the gears in the forward boxes and keep them running cooler, if that's what you're thinking.