1997 Powerstroke No Start

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that has a 1997 F-350 with a no start problem. The Injector Driver and ECM were both changed. I just did Valve cover gaskets and harnesses. The IPR plug and wires were shorted to each other. The scanner shows 165 psi to the injectors. If I do a KOEO test, I get a 1283 code. I am suspecting a shorted IPR. Any suggestions? Thanks.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should have a minimum for 500 psi, otherwise it isn't going to start.
I'd lean towards an IPR issue, maybe sticky, possibly a cut/leaking o-ring. Try unplugging the IPC and see what happens, the computer will default to seeing 750 psi and it should attempt to start. If this doesn't work, you probably have an IPR issue.
My mystery no start that got me my truck was a fried ECM, but you've already done that...

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the IPC and the scanner defaults to 2400+. Still no start.

make sure whatever youre using for a scanner is set to read in PSI.the ecm will not default to 2400PSI.check all fuses if you havent done it already.the fuel heater shorts out and pops a fuse under the hood,i believe its fuse #22 in the under hood fuse box.that will kill the power to the IDM.what happened to it before it died?is the tach reading while cranking?may need a cam sensor.injector orings can cause a no start condition as well.pop the fuel filter out and see what color the fuel is in the housing.if its black/oily looking its a good chance it needs injector orings.but if its clear it still dont rule out injector orings.have you checked the fuel pressure or made sure it is getting fuel?

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE!

Replaced the IPR, the harness to the IPR that goes under the filter housing. I checked the fuses and relays. Still no start. I still get a 1283 code. I am thinking the reman ECM might be toast. IDEAS!?

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure whatever youre using for a scanner is set to read in PSI.the ecm will not default to 2400PSI.check all fuses if you havent done it already.the fuel heater shorts out and pops a fuse under the hood,i believe its fuse #22 in the under hood fuse box.that will kill the power to the IDM.what happened to it before it died?is the tach reading while cranking?may need a cam sensor.injector orings can cause a no start condition as well.pop the fuel filter out and see what color the fuel is in the housing.if its black/oily looking its a good chance it needs injector orings.but if its clear it still dont rule out injector orings.have you checked the fuel pressure or made sure it is getting fuel?

If the ECM reads an IPR fault, it will not start per Ford Service Manual. Fuel is clear. All fuses are good.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the ECM reads an IPR fault, it will not start per Ford Service Manual. Fuel is clear. All fuses are good.

when was the reman ECM installed?

i had a van that was under water up to its dash that a garage couldnt get started for 4 years.ya it was actually floating in thier storage yard,lmao.i messed with it for a few days.found a bent pin in the main harness plug from the engine to the body harness,they claimed nobody disconnected it.just so happened to be the pin on the IPR wire.straightened it and it started.check the pins on the ecm plug and any other connectors you have disconnected.

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE 2

I followed the troubleshooting for the 1283 code, and determined the Remaned ECM of only 2 months was bad. I hooked it up to a known running PSD, and it would not start. Waiting for the warranty ECM.