1996 f250 vibration from 55-60mph

Stutz

Reaction score
1996 f250 vibration from 55-60
Hi guys I’m new to this forum. Thank you for any help up front. I have a 1996 f250 extended cab short bed powerstroke. It started life out as an auto 2wd. I have since converted it to a 4x4 manual(zf-5). Front axle is a Dana 60 with rsk. Before the swap I had no vibration. To start I had a one piece rear drive shaft made with a two joint system. My working angles were around 6 degees. Seemed like a no brained that that was the vibration problem. I had a new drive shaft made that was a double carder joint up front and the shaft was balanced when made. I put 5 degree tapered blocks I rear to line rear yoke up with the drive shaft. After all that the vibration is still there. My new trans mount seemed two be a little week and allowed to much movement. I then got a trans mount from auto fab with prolly bushings and the vibration is still there. As Info it vibrates with rear tires off and it on jack stands at 55-60 mph. On jack stands the vibration will go away with rear drive shaft off. It seems odd that it would do it with two different drive shaft setups with both of them being balanced. With the truck on jack stands the vibration looks/feels to be consntrated at the transfercase/transition. Truck has new clutch with sm fly wheel also. Iv been over and over what I thought it could be and I’m left scratching my head. Every time I think I’ll have it fixed it’s not fixed. Only thing I haven’t inspected much is motor mounts. They were new in 2015. Only thing that seemed to help was when I had the old trans mount on there I suspected that was the prob so to test it I wrapped a strap around trans to the cross member and tightened it down. This seemed to help and almost make the vibration go away. So I replaced mount with a better one and the vibration is still there exactly the same.( vibration is the from 55-60mph cursing, speeding up, all gears at the speed, nutrel, clutch in, and slowing down, vibration starts at 55 and goes away shortly after 60mph.) thank you for any help I’m at a lost at this point.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a vibration on my '92 F-350 4x4. It happened after I had done something involving removing the drive shaft. When I replaced it I had the vibration. I finally figured out that I had installed the driveshaft 180 degrees out of phase. I turned the drive shaft 1/2 turn and reinstalled it and fixed the balance problem. Easy, give it a try.

Stutz

Reaction score
1/2 seprait from slip yoke or the entire shaft?

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disconnect at rear pinion, turn 1/2 turn, reconnect & test drive

Stutz

Reaction score
I will give that a try once I get home. Thank you for the input

Stutz

Reaction score
Yes it is. This is the second transfer case that’s been on it by the way. Thought it was the prob. Old one is still good

Stutz

Reaction score
I looked at the drive shaft tonight and I joints are in line with each other and the slip yoke is also marked to the rest of the drive shaft. I’m not sure I understand compleatly the above suggestion. If I rotate the axle pinion one half turn seprit from the drive shaft is that what your thinking I need to do? Seems unlikely that I haven’t rotated the seprit from each other as many times as iv had the drive shaft out along with changing the set up of the drive line compleatly

Stutz

Reaction score
I did what was sugested ^^^ a few nights ago but have yet to test drive it. I will let you know

Stutz

Reaction score
Update. I’ve driven the truck few thousand miles and the vibration has yet to change. Still there. Been busy and haven’t been on here much

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 96F250 supercab shortbed is a 2wd with auto and diesel , it has a rear shaft from an F350 with the balancer/damper on the shaft . they seem to work with driveline vibrations from my experience. might just be masking the vibration but it works. I'm over 370,000 miles and mine has a rattly torque convertor but even with questionable rear tires I have no noticable vibs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online