1994 T E4OD kicking out of overdrive on Interstate ?

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
I was noticing today at speed on the Interstate my 1994 T 7.3 with a E4OD was dropping out of OD, where should I start to look.

Thanks for any help.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same as a FIPL, TPS Throttle Position Sensor, mounted on the IP, Injector Pump.

Kicking out of OD.
TPS has a dead spot.
Brake switch set to close.
Intermittent short in either brake lights.
Intermittent short in trailer plug.
Intermittent loss of Tach signal
MLPS misadjusted.
VSS intermittent loss of speed signal.
You touched the brake pedal, if you ride it.
Intermittent short in brake wiring.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you sure it went to 3rd or did the converter unlock? do you know the difference for 100%? did the OD light begin to flash yet? if so,did you pull the code? if so what code(s) did you get?

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
I am not sure, it does not do it driving around town and I did not notice the light flashing when it does it. I played around with it while driving by kicking it in and out of overdrive and it seemed like that was it but not sure.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
while driving and maintaining 55mph on flat ground;

say the rpm rise like it downshifted into 3rd or the converter unlocks,then at this point in time,if you cancel OD via the button,the light illuminates,doesn't flash at any time,and the rpms don't change at all,because the trans has already downshifted into 3rd on it's own? it's as if the OD cancel switch didn't do anything at all.
or,
at this point in time (same as above,the issue just occurred on it's own) you cancel OD and feel it downshift more with yet another rise in rpms?

Last edited:

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
Thanks for helping, I will pay more attention to it and check it out. I was going 70 and it just seemed like it was kicking down into 3rd but I did not notice the light come on. What if it is slightly low on fluid? Now that you mention it it may have been more like the converter was disengaging.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Thanks for helping, I will pay more attention to it and check it out. I was going 70 and it just seemed like it was kicking down into 3rd but I did not notice the light come on. What if it is slightly low on fluid? Now that you mention it it may have been more like the converter was disengaging.

It was the converter unlocking. It it dropped to third you will know it.:D
In general no codes get thrown for this until the TPS get real bad. This is why it needs to be checked. With age they get dead spots or just go out of range.
Classic symptom of TPS failure is converter unlocking at speed.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
How much is the part? will it do it not in overdrive, around town it does not seem to be a problem

redvetracr

Reaction score
my 94 did the same thing, it was the FIPL (fuel injection position lever) I bought mine from NAPA, it was a Ford part in a NAPA box.

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had the same problem with my truck. Turns out I had 2 shorts in the trans wiring harness, i could have never found them. Cost me 2 hours labor and some new connectors. The convertor would lock up for a little , then wouldnt for the rest of the drive.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the solenoid pack plug/bulkhead connector is always a good place to start;

hmm.buggy.there's 3 different pics to help you there.ah one is wrong though.the thumbnails aren't displaying right in attachments.

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 15
  • E4ODShiftSolenoidPackPlug.jpg
    E4ODShiftSolenoidPackPlug.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: