1994 IDI turbo no valve stem seals? lifter noise

fordgirl4by4

Reaction score
After 4 years since I swapped a 1994 idi turbo into my 1986 f250 4x4 that just sits I decided to fix the annoying lifter clatter on the passenger head. Interesting things I found!!!
HISTORY: swapped complete motor into truck, paid $250.00 complete with radiator, all new exhaust, new hoses fan clutch, waterpump, belts, tensioners, alternator etc. ALL NEW from previous owner. Truck it came outta received a Cummins 12v, he told me it ran great and had 266,000 miles, I was a little sceptical the truck was spotless as was the motor, never even had a oil leak ever.
Swapped it, had lifter noise, changed oil, no change! swapped rocker arms no change! swapped injectors, no change! gave up and drove it around the farm and about 2000 other miles, never used oil, quart a oil every 800 miles only in the winter, non in summer, non idling around the farm, no smike!

TODAY: swapped out a suspected valve spring, NO CHANGE, BUT noticed NO valve stem seals AT ALL on this engine! no umbrellas, no little 6.9 style o rings nothing, no remains of them, NOTTA!!! engine is spotless inside, no black residue or sludge. guides felt worn but after robbing a valve spring from boneyard 7.3 pile they seem great compared to the dead cores.

still noisy above idle and cold, gotta be lifter or ?????? no misfire no smoke, ANNOYING!!! maybe not a 266,000 mile engine? Going back out to try again

fordgirl4by4

Reaction score
LIFTER ISSUE! I ran engine and loosened and tightened rockers till intake on no. 1 was the issue, (under filter) no bent nothing, lifter still strait in its bore, had slow oil flow up then noisey,i dug through all my rockers to find the best ones with least wear.
Its quieter now but still there, goes away with half turn off the bolt.
THE BAD: my Balwin bf1222 filter that has maybe 30 gallons through it was full of water! algae and lots of bad stuff, last filter was a Racor and it did same thing, guess I have bad stuff in the fuel tank. And now I have a miss above 2300rpms its fuel/air related, maybe returns lines cuz I touched them, or the filter, or INJ pump(returns were changed two years ago 20 miles, filter I dumped out and put back on with stanadyne)
MORE WORK NOW

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are gonna have fuel trouble for a long time (maybe eternity) until you get some Algea Kill in that tank and a boat load of filters. My suggestion is, drop the tank, flush it out as good as possible, treat it with the Algea Kill, add a half tank fuel and run it, count how many filters you've changed.

As far as noise, I would suspect a collapsed lifter, maybe some dirt in it so it can't pump up. I just posted a thread on the Exhaust valve oil shields. Here tis.

Attachments

• image0-004.jpg
    image0-004.jpg
    852.5 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online