1994 F350 Crew cab IDI or Powerstroke

70Post455

Reaction score
I am going over to look at a 1994 F350 crewcab single wheel 2 wheel drive automatic with overdrive pickup tomorrow. This truck has had a new fuel pump and new glow plugs installed in the last 6 months. The gent says it runs and drives just fine and has 180K miles on it.
I would like to know how to tell from the vin # or a vin letter if it is a powerstroke or an IDI with a banks turbo.
Also the guy is asking $4800.00 for the truck and said he was fairly firm at this time, what is the going price for a 1994-95ish crewcab. I wish it was a 4wd, but if it has 3:55 gears it might get 20+ mpg on the hwy since it is 2wd.
Thanks for any info and help as to what to look for.
Tom

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If its an automatic its an IDI. The PSD wasnt available with an auto in 94.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Thats a steal for a diesel in Nebraska man. Even if it has allot of rust. With that mileage on the clock its worth that around here.
Like Mike said, PS diesels didnt come with an auto until 95.
It would have a letter K in the VIN if its an original IDI truck.
But really, there's a HUGE difference between a PS and an IDI. If it has wires running to the injectors its a PS, if its only got steel lines running into the top of the injectors then its an IDI. A power stroke engine will say just that on the air box, where a factory turbo idi would have an air box with the Ford oval on it and TURBO below it.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats very interesting i did not know that thanks ill rember that;Sweet
One of Fords famous tricks of trying to get stuff on the market mid-production year. In 94 you could buy three versions of Ford pick-ups. NA 7.3IDI (in both auto and 5 speed), Turbo 7.3IDI (auto or 5 speed) and 7.3L PSD in ZF5 only. I'm not sure if Ford was uncertain on the E4OD's ability to handle the extra torque of the PSD is why they only offered the ZF or if it was due to other demands (lack of E4's?, lack of proper PCM tuning? etc etc...) that lead them to only offer the 94 PSD with the ZF.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't the PSD only have 10 more HP than a turbo IDI in that model year? That would seem like a dumb reason not to offer an auto. 8 years ago Ford told me that only 10% of the trucks being built had manuals. I wonder what the ratio is now? I wonder for that matter how much longer you'd be able to get a manual at all.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't the PSD only have 10 more HP than a turbo IDI in that model year?

Yeah I think the initial HP/TQ for the PSD was 215/425 or something like that, add to that the fact that in an unmodded state the E4 had trouble staying together behind the IDI;). As I mentioned I dont know the reasoning behind not offering an auto in the 94 PSD, just hazzarded a few guesses.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Didn't the PSD only have 10 more HP than a turbo IDI in that model year? That would seem like a dumb reason not to offer an auto. 8 years ago Ford told me that only 10% of the trucks being built had manuals. I wonder what the ratio is now? I wonder for that matter how much longer you'd be able to get a manual at all.

I bet its way less than 10% now. Chevy got rid of it behind the Duramax, all you can get with that now is the Allison.....so I think it wont be long until the other two get rid of the manual option.

I think the PSD had like 25 more hp, and way more torque than the turbo IDI....I'll have to look into that and get back to ya.

greythorn3

wheelordie.com
Reaction score
emissions

would not surprise me if the dumbazzes made manuals transmissions agenst the law, since a computer does not control the shift points, it would be anti-emissions in their eyes..

Ray

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course the attraction of the PSD was not in stock trim but the almost unlimited HP potential available if you made some modifications, whereas we're clearly limited to around 250HP and 500lbs-ft on the IDI without some extensive engine mods to handle it.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Back in the mid 90's though, I don't think there were a lot of performance diesel parts on the market.
Wow, they brought that engine up 15 hp in 3 years? :rolleyes:

Can you even feel that kind of increase?/