1994 F350 Crew cab IDI or Powerstroke

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe cost of repairs/routine maintenence should be discussed......just to even things out a bit.....lol
In 4 years and 70,000 miles I did routine oil/filter changes, replaced a set of batteries and one idler and two serp belts, one serp belt was sacrificial until I figured out that the idler was bad. Oh yeah, and a $70.00 turbo rebuild kit.

Pretty even with an IDI no?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 4 years and 70,000 miles I did routine oil/filter changes, replaced a set of batteries and one idler and two serp belts, one serp belt was sacrificial until I figured out that the idler was bad. Oh yeah, and a $70.00 turbo rebuild kit.

Pretty even with an IDI no?
didn't I see a writeup on moded injectors going into your truck?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
didn't I see a writeup on moded injectors going into your truck?
Yup, but that cant go under the category of routine maintenance and repairs Cal, nor can any of the IDI guys stuffing an $800.00 turbo under the hood of an N/A.

That goes under the category of "insane search for HP"

Dollar for dollar you be damned hard up to beat an OBS PSD for maintenance and reliablity costs.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Wow, you wanted to have a ******* match. I was PURELY blowing smoke. Go take a cold shower.......

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, you wanted to have a ******* match. I was PURELY blowing smoke. Go take a cold shower.......
Go **** up a rope, this isnt a ******* match... just answering questions.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I think the 7.3 PSD was pushing 275 in 03. Might have been on the manual only though. Hell, you could buy an entire IDI motor for the cost of some mods for the PSD though :D
Not that I wouldn't do it if I had the cash :thumbsup:

....and a psd to modify. Although I came fairly close to buying an 02 F250 SC LB 4x4 once.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the 7.3 PSD was pushing 275 in 03. Might have been on the manual only though. Hell, you could buy an entire IDI motor for the cost of some mods for the PSD though :D
Not that I wouldn't do it if I had the cash :thumbsup:

....and a psd to modify. Although I came fairly close to buying an 02 F250 SC LB 4x4 once.

Yeah, my memory says it was the manny tranny that was in that HP neighborhood. And youre right, the PSD mods can be spendy.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Yeah, for 400 HP in the 7.3, you would be looking at:
Big Oil: ~$2,000
Stage 2 Injectors: $2,000ish
BB Turbo: $1800-$2500
Upgraded fuel system
Custom Tuner: $500-$1000
custom intake, exhaust, etc.
Then a whole lot more if you blow your motor if you do it to an '01+(PMRs)

You'll also need to upgrade your tranny or clutch too.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Going to find a rope......lol

I guess I am pretty simple and like a vehicle that the same. I am not too much for spendy mods and BS other stuff just to go faster. Mine will get there just not looking good or going fast.

Thad

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Yeah, something like that.....Still not quite sure I know what that even means. I have heard some odd sayings but that one is out there.....

My favorite Army saying is "stand fast" now what does that even mean. I laugh whenever someone around me says that.....

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I am pretty simple and like a vehicle that the same. I am not too much for spendy mods and BS other stuff just to go faster. Mine will get there just not looking good or going fast.

Thad

There's nothing wrong with that route either. There are times I look back and wish I had never turned the first bolt on my 95, she was bone stock original when I got her. But I also had alot of fun and learned a metric boatload wrenching on it and all told I think I had less that $1500 tied up in injectors, chip, intake, exhaust and tranny upgrades.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Yeah, the more I learn the more I know all I really need is a used turbo to be satisfied......but I need to get my Commander (read wife) to sign off on that.....

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The turbo will not make it a PSD but it will make it much more of a useful and fun truck to drive as in I actually have to be careful not to get speeding tickets now where I didn't before. I think a bone stock PSD and an IDI with a Moose or Ken's Pump and a turbo will be pretty even. Add any mods to the PSD and it will blow the IDI away. You guys recall where argve was with the E before he blew it up, around 287HP and 480+tq

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The 05 psd on My signature says 385hp and I don't remember the tq but with this #'s I don't think I'll do any mods to it for a long time except some much needed gauges.