1993 Ford F-Super Duty XLT - "Log Truck" (new to me truck-pic heavy)

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to find a reasonably priced meter that reads resistance accurately. I have what should be a pretty good craftsman that wants to be a Fluke but it will barely tell me connected or not let alone read resistance to 20 ohms.

Fluke really is about the best in portable meters.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
X3 on Fluke

I have cheap meters around for voltage and other basic stuff that are cheap enough I don't mind banging them around or even throwing in a toolbox. (The $25ish ones from Horrible Freight aren't bad for this). However, when I am troubleshooting something important or sensitive I grab my expensive Fluke meter from its protected storage location. I bought it with a student discount back in college and it was still over $150 in th 90's, it gets stored in the house in my bedroom and NOBODY gets to touch it! But it does its job extremely well. I know it will read glow plugs correctly......

In my point of view a meter like this is a "specialty tool" that is important just like any other (like the socket for a Dana axle) it has a special place and I always know where it is.... it's not like 1/2 inch combination wrench you have 5 of and know where 2 are..... buy a good one and you won't be sorry. But if you are checking for a dead battery, leave the good one where it is and use the inexpensive one, that way if the fan eats it you won't be as upset.....

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'll agree, fluke is the best.
I was just answering his question. Lol
Apparently southwire is trying to step up their game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight on the log truck show! Will the E4OD I just spent hours on,modding and installing in log truck be worth the effort! Tonight we find out here on channel 444!

Guys! You know what I forgot that I had? Her original TECA.Remember,it worked fine but has some sort of internal short which makes the OD cancel light glow,super,super dim (like half the brightness it glows with a TECA relay pulled) but the button still works and it works completely fine otherwise.

I don't trust it as far as I can throw it with this small short inside,however it's perfect for testing with!

So I install a short ground strap and plug her in.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ready for a test run! Cross your fingers boys!..................................

THE USED/REMAN TRANS WORKS FLAWLESSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As soon as I remembered that I kept this thing,I was so excited and 95% confident this is all she needed.
I took her out and instantly once she started to roll,she goes right into 2nd gear,followed by 3rd...............but no lock up!...........then OD!

I knew not to worry as she was cold.The TECA needs a signal from the TOT sensor in the solenoid pack that it's warm enough to lock the converter.Being a hot day,I knew it wouldn't take but just a mile or two..........then she locked.I pulled over and started back out again.......1-2.........2-3......converter lock........3lock - OD.

Log truck is back in action guys!

I'll now order a reman TECA (a correct one this time lol) for the F-Super Duty/F450 and I'll just eat the core charge because having this old TECA on the shelf is worth more to me than the core price.I must of ate it last time too as I still have it.Handy little ****** to have around.Though,I guess the one in there is toast and that one does me no good,so I'll send that in for a core.

I'll take her out to work with me tomorrow and load some logs.I'll take my camera and post her up working tomorrow night here on channel 444 so be sure to tune in!:D

Last edited:

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I admire your patience with stuff like that. You should add e4od transmission services to your tree service.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
NO THANKS! 2 E4OD's are enough.:D

I love working with auto's.Ever since a teen,I rebuilt a C6 (of which most of it I've long,long,since forgotten now) and shift kits,high stall converters in hot rods,lower than stock stall converters in heavy trucks.It's so amazing how drastic a shift kit and a high stall converter (with mild to wild cam) transforms a hot rod and it's just as much amazing how going lower than oem with a diesel truck takes all the "stuck in the mud" on take off away when loaded heavy.

They're just fun.I always liked the auto trans.By no means an expert but I have a lot of fun playing with them.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a failed relay causes high gear starts though,why doesn't simply pulling that cause high gear start? Not sure I understand that one

So confused by this,I pull over on my way home from work today and pull the TECA relay in chip truck.............As expected the OD light goes dim,high gear start in D (no tach,no lock up.just OD without a locked converter which "feels like" 3rd but no 3rd of course) manual 1 and 2 are both 2nd gear (and reverse remains too of course,though no reason to check nor doubt it.)

So I got to thinking,then the TECA is so screwed up in log truck that there must be a short in it,even if it doesn't get power but it's still somehow able to command the SS1 ON and it just must be shorted there.

full

That's why the failed TECA in log truck had to be disconnected altogether and why pulling just the relay didn't get me,my high gear.
That's the only theory I have anyway lol.

Probably this failing TECA was too much on my old weak trans and what finally did it in.....however no,she was puking trans fluid in reverse for some reason too.Right up out of the dipstick tube last season.That old trans just had it no matter what I suppose.I gotta pull the pump apart now and have a look.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight on the log truck show..........Log truck goes to work with her new trans!

So I'm removing 3 pine from a yard here.One to the left was small and I was able to fell that one whole.These two here,I climbed and brought them down about 30' in sections as there was no place to fell them whole,be it the house,septic system,shrubs,the maple tree,wood sheds etc.

All the brush (huge piles) was chipped up using,log trucks little brother; chip truck,yesterday.

They wanted the chips,so I dumped them out back in a pile for them.

Anyway,time to put log truck to work! Time to drop these trunks.I tied a rope up here yesterday so pull this one over.Got to be careful.The diesel engine engine can snap this 7k lb rated 1/2 rope like a piece of twine.She snaps and the trunk goes backwards/sideways into the house! Just a touch of tension is all it takes.

TIMBER!:D

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time to load this old gal up!

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost there!

There we go.That's a nice jag! Time to take her first load out.

I tell ya,this truck doesn't have a care in the world about being full of wood.She just takes it in stride both with plenty of engine (intercooled banks sidewinder) suspension (loads of springs,big rear axle) and brakes (4 wheel disc BIG calipers and hydroboost). It's just........made for it.I love this beast!

Time to unload.I load right up beside the crane too,I just snapped the pic mid way is all.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting her first load unloaded.

Back to the job after a lunch break between dump runs.Time to drop the other trunks.

Watch your head!

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time to load her up again!

I dunno guys.The crane is doing most of the work but this still feels like work.:D
This crane truck sure makes quick work of it though.Did I tell you guys how much I love this truck?

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm gaining! Just a half dozen more sticks and I've got her on the run.

That will do it.Load #2 and she's all over but the crying.....and the cleanup.:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88