1993 Ford F-Super Duty XLT - "Log Truck" (new to me truck-pic heavy)

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Page 4.Step 2 concluded with 3rd hole location.
You must be registered for see images attach

Step 3 is self explanatory.You'll see the old spring and poppet there.You'll just replace those with a new longer spring (more tension) and poppet.
While your there,take notice to ensure all check balls get reinserted in their correct locations if your doing this in the truck.My trans was upside down so they couldn't fall out and roll away.Use caution when lowering that down.Get a helper if you can.Tricky part if in the truck but the instructions sheet is all you'll need for it for the final step on page 4.

Page 5.Calibration plate.
I used the calibration plate I had already modified.According to the instructions,this may not be a good idea with a custom low stall converter.It may produce too firm of shifts.I can always use the new plate if I think so,latter on.
Anyway,the instruction sheet is clear on this as well and this part is an exact replica as the previous Transgo kit I had installed so if you need any extra help with this part,see this thread:
the installation of transgo's E40D-HD2-D reprogramming kit (shift kit)

Lastly,pump mods! Even funner part!

There was an E9 pump in the trans going in (ford reman) I suspect in good condition but I didn't split it to inspect it yet.Anyway,I wanted the high volume pump so I ordered a F5 reman.
This F5 has a nice lip I see where the bushing goes so it's impossible to walk forward! I liked seeing this.This wasn't on my last E9 in the old trans,nor was it on the used F5 I bought to replace it with back along.So this was a nice treat.All new bushing installed and seals,she's a thing of beauty.

Page 6.Step 2.Enlarge this orifice.I really like a firm lock up.I opted to go .93
This way here it helps it feel more like a shift.

Page 6.Step 3.Install this new,yellow spring.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Page 6.Step 4.Remove the oem (top row) and replace with the new (bottom) row.

I strongly recommend you install this was well.It's very simple.Takes just a couple minutes and can save your transmission!
I didn't know if the person who reman this pump would install another plastic oem or upgrade to the steel drainback so I bought one in preparation.Sure enough,out came an oem plastic (top) to be replaced with a new steel (bottom)

Sonnax Front Lube/Drainback Valve Kit - 36425-01K

Well I modified the new trans and got the old one out! One thing I learned from last time............Take your time and make sure everything is correct so that you do the job just once.:D

Took her driveline brake off.

Yeah.Look at this guys! I'd say I was lucky to get her home.I milked her for all she was worth and then some lol!

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stay tuned here on channel 444 as tomorrow I should finish up with the mods.I just have the 4R100 bypass to install,bend up some new 3/8 brake line and she's modified as far I'm going.If it's a good strong trans,this should keep it that way for many years.
Multi locking converter,low stall,billet cover.Clean up and put my 4R100 pan on.Bolt the driveline brake on.Install her,top her up with fresh Mercon V and see what happens!:D

Wish me luck!:)

I'll do up a slightly cleaner,streamlined version for the Tugger kit,for a tech article too.Just need to grab that one missing pic.I can pluck that accumulator right back off and take a peek.I need to make sure I installed the correct springs too cus the pic I have is missing two.So I either snaped a pic at the wrong time or I really did miss a spring or two.So I've got to check either way.Take just a min and I'll know.I need to know for 100%........well ok,that wouldn't be like last time.I could always just drop the pan to fix that issue without pulling the trans but still lol.Much easier upside down and on the floor.:D

Last edited:

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good stuff! Brings back memories doing mine, the Tugger Kit was actually pretty fun (though I found a accum. valve spring-in-a-spring that was broken (they are brittle) which made me nervous putting the new ones in!) Good details on the F5, hope it doesn't give headaches seating like mine did. Do you know if you've got steel planetaries or aluminum car ones like I had? I went with a billet input shaft. What was the stall on your convertor? Oh, and those little plastic balls, made me get cross-eyed ha ha, but kinda fun too.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
FM64DX-S3
Torque ConverTer

I don't know what's in there.All I know is that it was rebuilt by ford at some point in time.They guy I bought it from said it worked fine and drove the truck when he pulled it.This is all that's known about it.
I payed just about core price for it,so if it doesn't work,I'm not out much but my time to try it.If it does,then I win big.

The E4OD was never put in cars so I'm not sure what parts you found inside yours.

Shift kits are very fun to install!

Supposed to be dated but I can't make it out.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK guys.Show me the error of my ways here.What am I doing wrong?

Here is the old trans coming out.This is what they both look like inside.

Here I slide the driveline brake back onto the old trans without issue:

Here I am trying to slide it onto the good/used trans,to go in.

Any ideas? I've been messing with it for a good half hour and feel like a fool lol.
At least it's forcing me to stop for coffee so it's not all bad.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you tried two bolts, opposite each other, and tighten the tail housing? Make sure you have the pin aligned with the appropriate hole. It is a tail housing and there should not be anything stopping it from going together. The output shaft bearing will go into the tail housing with some force via the bolts. Yes?

gandalf

Reaction score
You're sure about the matchup of the splines on that shaft and the female receiver? Could it be possible that there is a different spline count, a different size, or something of that sort?

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Awesome sauce man! Always good to catch something before catastrophic failure. :)

Check the dowel pin hole for size. You shouldn't have to force it...much. :rolleyes:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Live from New York it's!!...........Wait a second.Wrong show.:D

Tonight on the log truck show,it's great progress though some things tedious.

So things start off with pulling the accumulator body to see what went wrong there.Sure enough.Missed a couple springs.so I snapped a new pic and the wright up back a page is complete.I'll make a devoted thread for it.Though the two Transgo kits share some of the same things,they definitely have their differences.

So anyway,I put that back in and torqued it back down.Great.I'll clean and install the pan.Got that all installed and then I look to see that the shift linkages are different (this trans come out of an 8th gen pickup) So Oh great.Off with the pan,pull the filter and remove the nut on the shift linkage.Still not coming out? I see a little pin,how does that come out? I might try prying it out but I think I better just stop and watch a video to make sure I'm correct.I found a perfect video to help me right out!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Before:

After:

Much better! That wasn't so bad.Just a little time killer is all so back in with the filter and back on with the pan.

What kind of trouble can I get into next? Well I inspected my input shaft and it's too tight! What now?! That's no good.That should slide right in out with ease.Can't have that new pump binding! So no big deal.I just loosen the bolts give the pump some taps with a rubber mallet and slowly snug and torque the pump bolts back down while sliding the shaft in and out and that did the trick.Now she'll fall right out on it's own.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next up,The issue I paused on and took a coffee break.You guys ready to find out why the driveline brake wouldn't bolt up?

Well check this out.The rear adapter which holds the driveline brake is deeper inside than the one on the pickup! That will trick ya!:D

So not a huge deal.I just had to swap these over as well.I suppose the question is,does anyone know if this is simply a difference from early E4OD's placed in 8th gens compared to latter E4OD's placed in 9th gens or is this (and what my guess is) simply a difference between F450's vs pickups?

You guys all had great guesses! They were all mine as well and inspected these things first.
After I got it bolted back on with some black RTV,I decided to drain and change the fluid.She was pretty black.I never did get around to checking the fluid in it.I need to check again but I believe it just takes ATF.What came out was black.burnt ATF I suspect.It wasn't quite full either.I meant to check this back when I first bought the truck and changed all the fluids but forgot about it.Glad I didn't prolong it much further and burn the thing up.

What is this you guys?! A trans with all the correct things on it for this truck! Oh thank the maker! It's about time! I was taking my time to prep it right so I just end up with one install.I learn from my mistakes lol.

Transgo tugger kit.Correct shift linkage and shift cable mount transferred over.Along with the range sensor installed.4R100 trans pan w/ drain plug transferred over.Reman F5 high volume pump.Tail shaft transferred over for driveline brake.Fluid removed.Ready to be topped up.4R100 bypass installed.She's ready for the truck boys!

So I just got her all in the truck.All converter nuts,bell housing bolts,starter,cross member bolted up,wires plugged in,driveline brake cable hooked up,shift cable hooked up.She's just about ready.
Just need to run new 3/8 cooler lines,install the turbo cross over pipe and route my lines away while checking where the pipe runs across.
I had to burn out the driveshaft strap bolts because they seized up.The torch ruined the u-joint seals so I knocked that out.Got new bolts & straps along with a new joint at NAPA while getting my brake line for cooling lines.

So tomorrow is the big day guys! In just an hour or two,I'll know if log truck finally has a good solid trans in her.Keep your fingers crossed and stay tuned right here on channel 444 to see how this story ends!:D

Last edited:

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never read about that difference in the transmissions either.

Auto's are a mystery to me. Always impressed to see you're work on them! So is it running?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online