1993 Ford F-Super Duty XLT - "Log Truck" (new to me truck-pic heavy)

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never read about that difference in the transmissions either.

Auto's are a mystery to me. Always impressed to see you're work on them! So is it running?

I'm gaining! I just stopped for lunch.The rear driveshaft u-joint just kicked my ars lol.There are like 3 sections of driveshafts in this custom stretched truck.
Someone replaced a bolt in the front drive shaft support with an incorrect size bolt so it was bound up.Finally got it out,replaced the u-joint and straps and put a new nut and bolt in on the one bad side it's nice again.
Of course it had to be the one right beside the front fuel tank don't ya know,so I couldn't just torch it off.Had to fight and struggle with it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Just picked up and wiped down all the tools.Had them all over the pace.Snugged down the bolts for the tailshaft where I had RTV'ed yesterday.
Now to top up the brake with fluid and run my new cooler lines.Top the trans up and see what happens!

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I forgot about the F Superduty extension housing being different. This part is for the F Superduty E4OD only. The brake and extension housing became obsolete with the introduction F450.

As for the pesky roll pin. Ford has a really cool tool for popping that sucker. Me, I use a nice sharp side cutter. Latch on to that little pin and give it a yank. When reinstalling the roll pin. Drive it just below the pan rail. It sucks when people try to drive that pin home. Some creative language is used when removing those.:eek:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight on the log truck show! Will we find out if the new E4OD will be any good? Tune in to find out.:D

Alight.New u-jount and strap kit installed.Filled the brake up with ATF.Off to a good start!

New 3/8 cooler lines run.

Looped right out away of my cross over pipe nice so it's easy to remove if need be.Tucked up nice and high above the starter and wiring so the starter can be replaced without issue.

Here you can see how simply the 4R100 bypass is to install and run new larger 3/8 lines without any modifications or anything.Very slick.

Is this it? Do I dare to fill it up with ATF now and see what happens?...........

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here we go.........................

So I fill her up with about 18 quarts of Mercon V and take her around the block..........UH OH not off to a good start guys!She's not shifting out of 2nd.

So I now have a nice Reverse and 2nd gear in all 3 positions M1/M2/D.
Well that's no good.Maybe if I keep driving a a couple miles it will talk to me and let me know what's going on..........Sure enough after 5 minutes her OD light begins to flash........Oh thank you sweetheart! I love it when you talk dirty to me.:D

So take her home to pull the codes.....91,92,93,94 & 62.

Solenoid failure from hell.Dirty solenoid plug? I don't think so.I carefully stored it up out of the way.........but hey,cleaning it is free for let me spray it............Run her down the road again.Same thing.OK well,bad pack then? The trans was acting up and always did flash the OD light with a 62 code on the last trans.due to it being a limp along trans,I didn't care but perhaps it also had other issues with the solenoids since I never did check the codes on it after awhile.If it went down the road,that's all I cared about.It sure was acting up on it's last trip home though last season,so perhaps her pack did fail.I test for power and she's got 12v down there.Oh well.I've got a drain plug so let's swap this sucker out!

OK she's back together with the solenoid pack that came with this trans now.Time to see what happens........

Fill her back up!

That's better! I can tell right in the driveway that now I have both 1st and second gear,both manually and it's 1st gear now in the D position.Reverse still as good as always of course.

Time to take her out for another spin................

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well It's easy to record her miles with the newer trans:

Thing's are still not going as hoped for though guys.I have reverse,manual 1,manual 2 and then 1 through 2 in the D position.

She will not go into 3rd,lock her converter,nor enter OD.
All she will do is rev right up and ride the governor in 2nd gear in the D position.
So she has a comfortable max speed of 20 MPH right now.This is not what I was hoping for.Doesn't she feel some nice on take off in 1st though and her first shift is smooth,crisp,tight and firm.I'm really hoping for something electrical.

She's been tight lipped and not speaking to me anymore since the replacement solenoid pack.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I swapped the whole pack.I forgot to add though,I pulled over once and pulled the TECA relay.This should of given me high gear in D but it didn't.Still only 2nd in D.Forgot I tried that.So I can't even start in 2nd and shift manually to cheat it into top gear.:D

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yea baby.I found top gear! So some more diagnostic reading,I see it recommended to disconnect the harness @ the trans and the trans should start in high gear.
If a failed relay causes high gear starts though,why doesn't simply pulling that cause high gear start? Not sure I understand that one,however I just went and disconnected the harness @ the TECA and I had what I kinda,sorta felt like 4th gear but my god with those 5.13's I just could only so ever slightly,just possibly feel a slight difference in the driveway between 2nd and 4th.That just goes to show ya just how deep 5.13's are! lol.Here I was a little concerned with the fact that I might of went wrong with getting an extra low stall too with such deep gearing.That concern just flew the coupe (though once I got 1st gear yesterday,that concern was pretty much eliminated anyway.)
Anyway,couldn't tell for sure so I took her down the road.

Of course no tach with no TECA hooked up she couldn't lock the converter but oh yes,shift her manually from D with the TECA unhooked going 35MPH and 2nd gear is much different from 4th then lol.Of course I could tell anyway since it wasn't red lining at 35MPH.:D

So it's in fact just an electrical issue boys.Possibly a bad TECA.The TECA in there now is one for an F-450.I had traded the "pickup" TECA I had dumbly bought for it back along for a used one.Perhaps now,she's no longer any good.I always suspect it faulty as it always did toss code 62 in the old trans,despite lockup working flawlessly.

So the whole works was bad with my last trans.Mechanical and electrical both.I know she failed mechanically because she lost reverse and all forward gears,until I would restart the truck.The restart must of slightly boosted line pressure just enough to help some failing clutches catch just enough to move the truck again.Then of course we see the pan full of material.:D
Hey I got my $ out of that old gal.Not a whole lot of miles but I did a whole lot of jobs carrying a enormous amount of wood and with the crane,saved so many man hours lifting wood.It's good to know I'll have her back again soon.

I'm so relieved.I think I've got a good solid trans here boys.;Sweet

Last edited:

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah... Those controllers can be a PITA sometimes. Considered going with a Baumann US Shift controller? The one I have on my 4l80e is great.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok that's it.I'm placing an order for a decent multi meter along with an E4OD repair harness which I can make a test plug out off.Owning 2 E4OD's I should of had these things for years now.I dunno what's wrong with me.:D

Tonight on the log truck show.Diagnostics of the E4OD's electrical system continues.

So with what I do have,I decided to take 20 mins and simply look for any obvious issues in the trans harness from the TECA to the solenoid plug connector.

This is very easily done simply by grabbing the schematic;

I have a nice one posted here for those who need it:

https://www.oilburners.net/media/e4od-harness.9/

Here you can see a new repair harness someone installed.It's not difficult to make sure what the TECA tells the solenoids to do is getting to the pack.

Without a meter good enough to read resistance of anything sensitive enough for this line of work,the least I could do was feed each line 12 volts just to see if I had any obviously broken/open lines here.

I just grabbed a wire with a universal fuse holder and tossed in a 5 amp fuse and connected to the battery to grab 12 volts.

Next,using the schematic along with the pin numbers located right on the TECA connector,I fed each line power,one by one checking for voltage.While checking,I wiggled the bulkhead connector to ensure nothing was loose/broken in any of the lines.

So this doesn't mean one or more of my wires may have resistance due to corrosion in any of them but at least I now know however,they are "probably" all good and nothing obviously is open,and the repair harness is likely still as good as new.

I'm going to order a decent multi meter and a repair harness to build and use as test harness.I will then test both solenoid packs,the one on the bench now and the one installed in the truck.

https://www.oilburners.net/media/solenoid-body-test-data.340/full

Since however these packs don't fail often,the odds two of them being bad at once is almost 0 and the fact that I don't have any obvious signs of bad wires between the TECA and the trans,I'm gaining more and more confidence that I need a new TECA.

Opinions welcome.........Well,short of telling me to swap in a ZF5 already!:D

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah... Those controllers can be a PITA sometimes. Considered going with a Baumann US Shift controller? The one I have on my 4l80e is great.

I actually like the oem '94 spec TECA units that came in these trucks.
Plus,I'm too cheap to spend money where something works so good (imo anyway) that I can't make the justification to spend the money.I'm all for upgrades but for less than $100 I can grab a reman TECA and run 'er.:D

full

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somebody help me out here please?

Is this good enough for the horseshoes and grenades I wanna play with for measuring down to 20 ohm range accurately enough?

Actually,if buying a new meter,if it can accurately read down to a single ohm would be nice for testing glow plugs.

Resistance Range and Accuracy: 600Ω/6KΩ/60KΩ/600KΩ/6MΩ ±(0.8%+3), 60MΩ ±(1.2%+3)

https://www.amazon.com/Tacklife-DM01M-Multimeter-Detection-Temperature/dp/B01M7ZD1VN

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01