1993 Ford F-Super Duty XLT - "Log Truck" (new to me truck-pic heavy)

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There she is.Loaded up for a second time.Taking it like a boss.
You must be registered for see images attach

Chip truck will take it from here again tomorrow.A few sticks to toss on,a bit of dead limbs and lots of raking.I'll put it on chip cus she dumps.;) Log trucks bed still needs some work for dumping duty.I'm also grinding the stumps so I'll take the grinder with me and this ones done.

Man,this truck is so handy,I should of gotten this trans in her months ago but as soon as I got back this season,I was busy,busy,busy.Glad to have her back.What a quick way to help get rid of some tree.

Welcome back log truck!:D

All those pics and not one good pic showing a good close up of a full load.Here's one zoomed in.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After work here yesterday once I unloaded the last load,I decide to make sure my TECA was really bad because I got to thinking,how can a TECA command SS1 to the ON position without it getting power? Just didn't seem right.So I plugged it back in and........it's working too!
I dunno,perhaps due to the trans sitting the 2-3 shift valve was stuck? I suppose this theory would make more sense.When I changed TECA's it just so happened to coincide with the valve becoming unstuck over the night or two of sitting perhaps.I dunno.
You know,I was going to pull that bore to inspect it but transgo's kit only come with a replacement valve for this for valve bodies with clearly state for specific valve body casting #'a only and neither were mine so I said,ah well,I'm sure it's fine lol.Probably could of unstuck it right then if that was what had happened.I dunno strange things can happen when stuff like this sit for a bit I suppose.
She's working great now.Now I'll wait to see if the TECA casts the code 62 without reason with this trans too.

It's the F450 turbo specific TECA which makes it super rare.I guess this means at least one F450 out there came with a factory turbo engine cus I have a TECA spec for it.Never seen one before but they must exist or they wouldn't of made this TECA.I don't notice any difference in shift schedule between the two though.At least not right off on a short 1 mile test run.So we'll see.Perhaps I don't need to spend another $100-$150 for a reman TECA after all.

Still a few more things for this truck are planned.

A divorced t-case (so I keep my driveline brake). Crawling around and backing up to piles like this would be soooooo much easier if I had a set of low gears to use.I hate not having a t-case! With 5.13 gearing,it's not horrible but you know how nice it is to just shift in 4lo and have those steep gears to creep with.So much nicer.

She needs a fresh coat of paint still.I think I'll try my hand at it if I can find the time.Base/clear.Tu-tone.

The dump bed just needs some new piston rams now.Power/up down type and just a little welding of it's rear hinge to beef that up.Just to be able to dump dead brush and crap that I can't chip (like what's left here on this job for example) would be handy even if it's too unstable to dump big chunks of wood and too risky due to wood sliding into the crane.

The hydraulic lift gate I bought for this back before I bought the crane has been fixed up but I think I'll sell that as now the crane was a much better idea.
A little trial and error but once you get something setup to work nice for ya,you wonder how in the world you ever lived without it!

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Over tightening or tightening the bolts out of sequence accumulator body bolt can cause the 2-3 valve to stick. Sonnax addressed this issue with a modified spool valve.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The log truck show returns!

I love this old girl.Her used trans has been working great.Picked up a few sticks of firewood with her today.Few sticks of maple and hemlock.Mostly oak.
These folks here needed a few trees taken out,so they can have a well put in.
Once I felled the trees,twitched most of the logs up,then chipped the brush with chip truck,it was time to go back with log truck and grab a few sticks.Figured I'd bring the cam along.

This is when I'm glad she sports 5.13 gearing.Takes it like a boss.This thing is handy.Never gets old.I love working this beast.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you work alone? I never see a crew working working with you in the work pictures.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you work alone? I never see a crew working working with you in the work pictures.

Yeah,I'm a lone wolf in everything I do in life lol.I had a couple guys with me for a spell but,they didn't work out and I had to let them go.It's hard finding good (reliable,honorable,trustworthy and skilled) help.I learned a lot though.This time I'll be vetting future employees more carefully,now that I know what I'm doing,in this regard.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah,I'm a lone wolf in everything I do in life lol.I had a couple guys with me for a spell but,they didn't work out and I had to let them go.It's hard finding good (reliable,honorable,trustworthy and skilled) help.I learned a lot though.This time I'll be vetting future employees more carefully,now that I know what I'm doing,in this regard.
I know what you mean. I'm the same way in most things or if I'm part of a group, it's usually just one or two well-trusted others. In any high risk profession, especially in forestry, if you can't trust a guy/girl to make sure you make it home at the end of the job, they're a liability.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight on the log truck show.....Twitching and taking out another load.

Is there such thing as seeing a truck loaded too often? Is that like saying,oh no,I don't want to watch another one of those football games? There's no such thing! At least not unless your a sissy!:D

So this lady here,wants some trees cleared back away from the house a bit,do to it being too dark and gloomy inside.Time to let some sunshine in.

A couple nice 16' money logs here.

This ones' still too far out.....Come here,you.

There we go.The crane can reach you easy now.Your mine.

Just 3 worth taking to the log yard.The rest will get dropped off at an outside wood boiler.They'll burn anything in those things.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will the log yard mill those logs? It must be different up there. Homeowner logs won't be looked at by the few places we have.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one will top her off.

Another nice jag,ready to go.

Did I ever tell you guys how much I enjoy working this truck? Man,you can't beat an F-450.Just nothing like 'em.

^That pine,I've got to climb that one and take that one down in sections.Out off room with the other trees.I've got a pine out back of the house with a dead top.Beside the house and inside a fence.No place to fell that one either.Two more pine around the other side and no place to fell those either,so 4 more climbs here.I'll be bringing log truck back,after I bring those down and chip them up with chip truck,sometime next week.
Enough for this week.Chip truck needs some loving this weekend with a new fuel tank selector valve, some front brake pads and a new radiator.Log truck is in tip top with the used trans and ready for more next week.
Now if only I could find myself a good experienced climber.I'm getting too old for this foolishness.:D

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thursday night special! Tonight on the log truck show,it's special quest star appearance,log trucks little brother: Chip Truck!

So I've shown you guys how I work log truck but,before log truck can be used,it's little brother,chip truck,first needs to show up to the job for the specialty work.Tree pruning or removal.In this case here,I'm still at the same job removing the last of the pine trees.

I removed the one out back of the house inside the fence and finished getting that one cleaned up today.

Now it's time to remove these two here.No place to fell these whole,so they need to be climbed and removed in sections.

Want to come up guys?

Ok.You asked for it! HANG ON TIGHT!!!!

We're half way up.Your knees knocking yet?:D

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the other half still to go.How ya holding up? Think you can make it?:D

OK this will work right here.I'll clear a few branches out of the way and take this 15' top right here.

Chip truck awaits chipping duty,down below.Hi chip truck!

OK I'll place my notch right here.Hang on tight guys,I've got a heavy, 15' bushy top.When she goes,she's gunna kick back against the trunk......and we're going for a RIDE!:D

THERE SHE GOES! Right on point.Just enough room for it between this tree and those stand of oak.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey,way to go guys! You sure you guys haven't done this before? Your just like a pro!:D

It's all downhill from here boys!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel