1993 f250 7.3 IDI speedometer all over the place!!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes right.looks just like a gear.the high teeth the sensor reads because like holding a magnet in your hand and when you get close enough you'll feel the pull from the magnet right? go back a little further and you no longer feel the pull.that's the low points in the gear.
so as the tone ring spins,the sensor is there picking up the pulls/no pulls.see it's so simple even though it's not mechanical like the idi.
so in your case you had some missing teeth in your tone ring.now the sensor though still working correctly can't work correctly because you had a mechanical failure while your electrical continued to work flawlessly.your sensor read the "off" signal for too long with the missing teeth.as with all moving parts they will eventually fail.

BigBlueOBS

Reaction score
Correct! I was just telling him so he knows wat to look at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

InnovativeAV

Reaction score
Got it fixed broken wire above the rear pumpkin. Metal crimps and heat shrink fixed it!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
slick.you can't beat easy fixes.when i first installed my dump bed on chip truck i had the ram pinch my vss wires and had the same problem.i had to drive 'er nice and easy home just 7 or 8 miles out around 25 mph so i didn't hurt the trans.she was hunting pretty hard anything faster lol.

InnovativeAV

Reaction score
Yep got under there they had a regular car audio but connectors that we're not even weatherproof. When I touch the wire the one fell right out kind of figured that was the problem. I am slowly bringing this thing back to a strong truck. Just ordered new Motorcraft glow plugs for it.