1993 7.3 idi

Brendon

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum as well as working on vehicles. I've been reading here and there on this forum for a while and would like to thank you all for the help. I own a 1993 Ford F-350 xl. It is crew cab 4x4 w/ 7.3 idi. I will explain the best I can but please correct me. I am currently trying to remove the engine from the truck. I have the the front bumper, grill, lights and radiator support off. I think I have a hyper max impulse intercooler hooked up to a banks sidewinder turbo? That's just based off some internet searching I did. The passenger side of the radiator core has rusted through where is sits on that marshmallow(?) and a bunch of bolts are rusted. Should I take off the turbo to remove the engine? Would it be dumb to use ratchet straps somehow to lift it out? Also should I be careful disconnection the A/C system? Will removing the hose from the condenser release something in the air? Another odd thing happened. I pulled the battery's out a while ago and had them tested. They were fine, full charge. They sat down in the basement, average room temp, one on bare concrete, and now they both seem to bet wet? Like they're leaking.

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Removing the turbo will give you better clearance under the cowl, but isn’t nessasary. As for the batteries it reallly depends on what that liquid is, does it seem like it’s just gassing out the weep hole? Are the tops of the batteries dirty?

Brendon

Reaction score
I have a Carolina shophand 5000. I don't have a leveller or chains and in a bit of a pinch as I'm in a borrowed garage. Is there a bolt that goes into the block to use chains or how have you guys done it? I thought a few 2000lb straps?

Brendon

Reaction score
The batteries it seems to be water coming from around the posts. I would like to leave to turbo on to see exactly how it was installed, but I'm not sure I can disconnect the exhaust pipe that comes up through the turbo without removing the whole thing.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are you pulling the motor? That mushroom I'm assuming you're referncing the front cab mounts. The AC will let R134A out. The "official" answer is to not let that stuff into the environment. The actual answer, just don't breathe it in. For your radiator support, do you weld? Also for areas that aren't completely rusted through, POR15 is worth it in this case. GOOD used radiator supports are hard to come by and EXPENSIVE. If you can weld or have a friend that can, I would say patch up the holes the way you would in a body panel so that it sits flush.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LMC truck is now offering an aftermarket radiator support. No idea if it is any good, and it is expensive, but so are good used supports. http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=2

Don't put batteries directly down on concrete - always place a board or rug or something under the battery to insulate from the concrete.
Cardboard.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one that almost died laughing after reading "marshmallow"? That's just a rubber grommet that your rad sits on, should be 2. As far as the AC goes... once when I was 17 I disconnected an AC hard line and "KABOOM" I was deaf, ears ringing for at least 5-10 mins so I'd highly recommend against removing a line until after you've properly relieved the system of refrigerant.

bj_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Carolina shophand 5000. I don't have a leveller or chains and in a bit of a pinch as I'm in a borrowed garage. Is there a bolt that goes into the block to use chains or how have you guys done it? I thought a few 2000lb straps?

there are lifting eyes on the intake manifold for hoisting the engine up

edit: there should be " "

Runningaford

Reaction score
Take a lot of pictures as you remove stuff, way easier having pictorial references.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online