1993 6.5 problem I've never seen before!

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
6.2 and 6.5's ALL come from the factory with chains. I've never had a 6.2L with gears already in it.

I could have sworn that the one I have in my truck has gears, but it's also a military spec engine. If it doesn't, then I'm just mis-remembering things and mixing up the other engines I've torn down.

gearhead143

Reaction score
I could have sworn that the one I have in my truck has gears, but it's also a military spec engine. If it doesn't, then I'm just mis-remembering things and mixing up the other engines I've torn down.

All of the engines I rebuilt except for a few had chains in them. When I worked for ODOT in the 90s we rebuilt a lot of these and all had chains.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a gm3 knock off. Known for coming apart and killing engines. Data tag will show for sure.

Still never seen one with boost reference, I have seen them w/ the nipple on the canister but they are still resistance operated by back pressure forcing it open.

I'll take a look at the turbo that came from my 93 and maybe upload a pic

Source Unknown

gearhead143

Reaction score
I will check the data tag later this morning as the work day has just started and it will be busy.

gearhead143

Reaction score
The turbo is a Borg warner
PN---- 171077
SER--- 03A149130051
BWTS- 171077

Timing is a lot closer now I am at 5* BTDC Now I am convinced that the timing light method is not very accurate. I found a MT480 and going to buy it tonight, only problem the guy now tells me he doesn't have the probes. The price came down to $50.00. anyone know were there are some probes for sale??

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just because it says borgwarner doesnt mean it is. Knock off HX 40's have holset molded in some of them.

I am not sure if my plates are even still good enough to read but I will try to get to them in the morning.

gearhead143

Reaction score
Just because it says borgwarner doesnt mean it is. Knock off HX 40's have holset molded in some of them.

I am not sure if my plates are even still good enough to read but I will try to get to them in the morning.

Please let me know what you find. I haven't had time to search the tag numbers yet, and can't get the shop that installed it to talk to me.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest issue with knockoff turbos are the exhaust side housings are even smaller and lower flowing than the stock highly restricted turbo. This adds higher egts to lower quality impellers. They melt, hot side bearing goes out, cold side hits the housing, and chunks are going into the oil return and through the intake.

You can get a better turbo from leroydiesel for less money.

Source Unknown

Evan Adams

Diesel Enthusiast
Reaction score
and is that one a knock off? because that may be my problem because mine looks indentical to that turbo tanman posted. and mine has that same oil problem. (also the reason im replacing it)

Evan Adams

Diesel Enthusiast
Reaction score
well thats what i thought too but when coverted over to a draft tube there is little blow by at all. I think the seal of the turbo is going as i still have oil leaking through the silcone boot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online