1992 Ford F-350 7.3 IDI NA drives 1/2 mile then dies and has hard starts...

foundonroaddead

Reaction score
Update 2: after blowing out the lines from the fsv to the electric pump with the hose on the inlet of the pump taken off, i hooked up my electric pump and it started pumping the best i’ve seen it. my clear tubing instantly filled with fuel and no matter front or rear tank, it had zero air coming through even after letting it sit on each tank for 5 minutes. feeling pretty good about it, i decided to take it for a spin. two laps around my block, and a half mile later, dead. i pull over, and the clear tubing is once again empty. both tanks, nothing. so i had a milk jug full of diesel with me, put the intake into the electric pump into it and STILL NOTHING. so, you guys were right about the ole facet, at least in my situation. gonna order a Holley or exchange this Facet for another one for the time being since money is short... Maybe i’ll get this Ferd home before nightfall. :D

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update 2: after blowing out the lines from the fsv to the electric pump with the hose on the inlet of the pump taken off, i hooked up my electric pump and it started pumping the best i’ve seen it. my clear tubing instantly filled with fuel and no matter front or rear tank, it had zero air coming through even after letting it sit on each tank for 5 minutes. feeling pretty good about it, i decided to take it for a spin. two laps around my block, and a half mile later, dead. i pull over, and the clear tubing is once again empty. both tanks, nothing. so i had a milk jug full of diesel with me, put the intake into the electric pump into it and STILL NOTHING. so, you guys were right about the ole facet, at least in my situation. gonna order a Holley or exchange this Facet for another one for the time being since money is short... Maybe i’ll get this Ferd home before nightfall. :D
Maybe the bowl just isn't on tight enough? Could be all the problem right there. Good troubleshooting BTW. Fuel stuff is a pain sometimes. I always end up taking a shower with a jug of orange hand cleaner to get the diesel off me!

foundonroaddead

Reaction score
Maybe the bowl just isn't on tight enough? Could be all the problem right there. Good troubleshooting BTW. Fuel stuff is a pain sometimes. I always end up taking a shower with a jug of orange hand cleaner to get the diesel off me!

i would say that but i took the clear bowl off and cleaned it all out and put diesel on the oring before reinstalling and made it
super tight and still zilch. it started working after letting it sit for a few minutes so i’m guessing it was overheating. Going to check my relay and breaker fuse for this new one to make sure the current is enough. I bit the bullet and picked up a Holley last night and gonna get to work on installing it tomorrow.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Throw the pos electric pump in the trash where it belongs and put the fuel system back to factory.

92LongBed

Reaction score
I'm not a strong reader so maybe I missed some info but idles fine then dies while driving is a classic clogged fuel filter. In your case maybe the screen on the Facet, maybe the main filter under the hood.

Not saying it isn't the FSV, could be junk in there too but the clogged filter has happened to me and it was infuriating for 3 days before I figured it out. In my case a little pre-filter on a cheap cube pump but same concept. If you have a fuel pressure gauge for a gasser you can use that to check at the filter header. The last port on the header towards the IP is the only one that reads after the filter. I can't remember what that port does currently as mine was deleted.

Also for the hard lines if you cut into them just slip fuel rated hose over them and use a spring clamp, not a cheap screw type clamp. No leaks or air in over 10 years like this for me.
this issue is nearly identical to mine i'm having right now. i've posted about it recently but found your reasoning and wanted to see if you knew anything else because i JUST replaced my fuel filter 2 weeks ago and my truck sits and idles wonderfully but i drove it and it died within 1000ft (going downhill in neutral) i even sit there with the pedal down to 3000rpm and it sounds great nothing of concern from low idle to high rpm. i've replaced FSV, o rings on injector caps and return lines. i did use the screw on hose clamps which u suggest we dont do, dont have any residue around any of my new hoses. i'm stumped and i dont really have resources to pull the bed off and check my tanks for broken parts in the sending units

update: 2/26, fixed the issue, found a wet fuel hose connection at the mech pump and then tossed some diesel kleen into the IP and let it sit for 36 hours, truck no longer stalls out while driving

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck