1992.5 mystery! E code injectors??

92 dizzel

Reaction score
Hi all! First time post, I've been lurking for a long time. I very much enjoy all the info on here, and it has helped me immensely!! I pulled a 1992.5 7.3 idi out of a horse pasture and began it's resurrection about 2 years ago. I've done all the fuel lines, all return lines, lift pump, professionally rebuilt injector pump, fuel filter and rebuilt the injectors. You would not believe some of the stories that went with each one of those steps, but let's just say it has been one hell of a journey learning this beast.

Here is my mystery... the 1992.5 to 1994.5 7.3 has E code injectors listed as correct. This is different than the years previous. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the other injectors and the E code injectors? Furthermore, was the injector pump different starting in 1992.5? Yes I have searched everywhere. Everyone says the E codes are different, but no one says how they are different.

I have a 5013 pump. Is that a pre-1992.5 or? Do I need to match a year-correct pump with year-correct injectors or can i go with a prior year pump and prior year injectors?? Or is the engine all the same other than the injectors and pump between the years?

I want new injectors and need to know what to buy. The injectors I have are not e code. Yes I do have a pop tester and can roughly rebuild them, but they are mismatched and worn.

Thanks so much for any clues on solving this mystery!!! Everyone says the e codes are different, but no one ever says HOW

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Code isn't important, they really aren't any different. Mainly pop pressure.
Get a set from a known vendor here(Mel, Russ, Wes) and you will be good to go. Same for IP.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
5013 pump application: 1992-1994 7.3 L Ford Diesel E40D Automatic Pickup & van (serpentine belt, naturally aspirated)

I have found no difference between the D, E, and G code injectors, except the G codes have a higher pop pressure rating to compensate for the higher compression of the turbo engine.

92 dizzel

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll just order the stanadynes that fit the older 7.3. The e code are more expensive I think.

I've read that they will come with the incorrect pop pressure, what should I set the pop pressure at once I get them? 1900?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
what should I set the pop pressure at once I get them? 1900?
I think it's more important to have a set of injectors that have matched pop pressures than what they actually pop at. If you order from one of the "Big Four"' you may be able to get a recommendation from them as far as pop pressures go. You also may be able to get a set that's already set at their recommended pressure.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@typ4 your website doesn't display any detail when clicking on injectors. Mobile on an Android.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just checked it from my old phone and it seems to have details below the injectors.
If you have a specific question let me know.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@typ4 your website doesn't display any detail when clicking on injectors. Mobile on an Android.

Try this link here https://russrepair.com/reman-injectors/

I just checked it from my old phone and it seems to have details below the injectors.
If you have a specific question let me know.

I've noticed some issues with locating parts on the site too. Clicking through the menu doesn't work correctly for me and doesn't always list the appropriate products under the correct headers.

For example. The link I posted doesn't show up under "injectors" but will show up if I pull up everything at once.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's probably your phone system because I've been checking it and everything works fine on this end.
when the wife gets home tonight I'll have her check it with her phone cuz it's older see if it's the same I know they just updated the website operating system they told me.

92 dizzel

Reaction score
I clicked on the injectors and got something else.

I'm going to order new. No offense but I've already gone down the road of rebuilt injectors and got screwed. Ended up doing a better job myself. It was from a local shop, so no, none of the people on here are to blame.

I'm sure there are some good ones, I just don't have the time or the money to play around. I want all matching stanadynes. If anyone can tell me that rebuilt from someone here is better than new stanadynes then I'm all ears. I'm tired of messing around with trying to save a buck on this truck and ending up paying double in the end.

I really appreciate all the help I've received from this site, it has saved me many times!!!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anyone can tell me that rebuilt from someone here is better than new stanadynes then I'm all ears

That's a loaded question. I know Russ (Typ4) has seen a quality drop in the new stanadyne injectors, but I don't remember the specifics of what he said.

I would buy a rebuilt set from Typ4 Thewespaul, or Agnem long before I would just toss in new stanadyne injectors. If you take the time to pop test them, you might be fine. The listed site vendors all make sure they are good, pressure matched sets.

I completely understand your concerns. I myself have grown tired of doing things several times over.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I would also like to add my thoughts that the above mentioned people, while very busy, are also smaller companies than Stanadyne is. They relay heavily on the reputations that they work hard to build and maintain on this forum. I would also guess that they would be more likely to send you out a properly matched set of injectors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online