1986 f350 6.0 powerstroke video

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice truck!!

Gotta agree with snicklas on this one though. Although my siggie snivels about the 6.0, I'm more tired of the driving wondering when it will break, than the actual breaking part. Yeahyeahyeah, I continually rant about the ICP between the exhaust yoke, but the truck has some great power. I have a 30' camper pull along that I've regularly passed everyone up most any grade with.

I'm coming to the conclusion there are really only 4 major issues with the truck, most are sender problems, one is the EGR.....except on mine, the '03!

The turbo on my truck was blamed for ICP problems, took the turbo off, after an hour of trying to separate the ******, the VV's were nice and clean, all parts moved and once ICP was replaced, ran great.

The trons part is the real ****** for me, unlike the IDI's, waaaay more time is spent looking for the issue, in spite of codes..... like what happens when you know there's an issue but no code pops. Some of the sender issues can produce similar problems or symptoms. If no code pops, one has to hunt it down, and if the sender doesn't give off consistently poor signals, it could be missed several times.

Good luck trying to find an electric schematic involving signals.... like that darned compass. After nearly a year of searching on-n-off, found last week a dash board reset trick. Go figger!

The 6.0 I have is now my wife's Corvette (not driven but twice a month like a Vette), and the IDI is mine! But never once has the 6.0 left me stranded. The power is awesome stock, and I can make her get 19MPG when we set cruise, no load. Wife's Honda Pilot get's only 15! I hate that car. -cuss

I've often wondered, of all those head gasket failures on the 6.0, how many were actually caused by some a-hole and his chip..... that he didn't take the time to learn the parameters on before tromping his foot through the floor.... ooor how many WMO guys coked up their EGR systems trying to run it at all or too rich with WMO?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
If I had a lower milage 6.0 donor truck I would GLADLY put a 6.0 in my 86 rather than the 7.3 that will be going in.
Put head studs, EGR cooler delete, and oil cooler in and you have a dead nuts reliable truck that is capable of STUPID amounts of HP.

But even if you dont do that they can still be pretty reliable. I just sold a 04(one of the "worst years") that had 375,000 miles. One owner and never had any work other than oil changes(3500 miles) brakes, and tires. Must have been a real POS to only make it that far

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I have to say that the 6.0 has the most outrageous turbo noise. good gosh theres a guy here in town that has one and you can hear just the turbo from 4 blocks away. sounds like a F-18 taking off from the USS ENTERPRISE.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I undersand there are members who have/had a 6.0 and had trouble with them... I know Calvin is one of them, and so is GUNZ....... but that does not make them all bad.....
I didn't own my F550 with a 6.0, It was assigned to me along with two other trucks. I suspect it's shortened life was largely due to being a towtruck. but hey, a F550 is supposed to be a work truck! It's older brother the '97 F450 didn't get nowhere as cranky as the F550 was. If it wasn't for the satphone that was also assigned to me, I wouldn't take out the 550 to some of the remote areas I had to go with the truck. yes, more than once the 550 had be exercise the satphone. :eek:-cuss-cuss-cuss

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't complain about them, they keep me busy at work, along with the 6.5, 7.3, and 6.4 maxxforce engines we have. Every mOtor has its little issues.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I'm with Brad on this one. Fix the problems he pointed out and you will have something thats wicked fast, gets good economy and isn't a run of the mill ordinary swap. Am I correct in assuming that putting a 6.0 in our vintage truck may allow you to get away with the EGR delete and other emissions crap? The 6.4 should be loving life without the DPF and EGR.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Am I correct in assuming that putting a 6.0 in our vintage truck may allow you to get away with the EGR delete and other emissions crap?

By get away with, do you mean legally? then NO An engine swap necessitates the emission things also follow in NJ. BUT NJ doesnt hAVE EMMISIONS TESTING FOR DIESELS SO..........

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had a lower milage 6.0 donor truck I would GLADLY put a 6.0 in my 86 rather than the 7.3 that will be going in.
Put head studs, EGR cooler delete, and oil cooler in and you have a dead nuts reliable truck that is capable of STUPID amounts of HP.

But even if you dont do that they can still be pretty reliable. I just sold a 04(one of the "worst years") that had 375,000 miles. One owner and never had any work other than oil changes(3500 miles) brakes, and tires. Must have been a real POS to only make it that far

i agree completely, they have there issues. however they like to be worked. hard. theres a dude in town who had a common rail cummins, and an LBZ duramax, two pretty reliable diesels, and had nothing but problems towing his l35 kubota around. its a one ton dump. he has an 04 6.0, i talked to him the other day, he told me man, i beat the balls off this thing, and it doesnt wanna die. i mean he plows with it, does landscaping and hauls equipment. trucks an animal. best 6 leaker ive seen to date.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but let me say this as well, quite a few 6.9 IDIs like to blow HGs, same as 6.0s, the 6.0 just happens to be more involved and costly to fix (the price of technology) its like doing HG's on a carb 350, compared to a mercedes benz..

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that guy is hillarios replace a 6.9 with a 6.0 then lets make it even less reliable and throw a 6.4 in there.

Not all 6.0 were junk it was hit and miss some go 500,000 with out major issues and some won't leave the shop if your going to buy one check the oasis report if it had a lot of waranty work done keep looking.

every one I know personaly that owns 6.0s haven't had any major problems but I've seen alot of the horrer stories first hand.

Would I own one? If the price was right
Would I swap one in to my truck? No I can think of way cooler moters to swap in like a DTA 360

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck actually had a 460 in it. He swapped out a old tired 460 for the 6 liter. He's the owner of leadfootdiesel.
And what's so unreliable about the 6.4? What do you base that off of? I've heard alot of horror story's and people who will never touch them. When the 6.4 all I've heard of is great. Easy power 600hp on stock bottom end and trans. Only bad thing over heard was a couple with a dropped vale and one with a faulty repair and threw a rod.