1986 c6 to 1988 zf5 swap

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey all how hard would it be to take my 86 f350 4x4 c6 and put in the zf five speed in from a complete donor truck 88 f250 4x4? Both trucks are 460's and 4x4's

Also how different are the 88 fuel injected 460s from my 86 four barrell gas guzzler? Would a swap from the carbed engine to fuelie engine be simple? I have an 85 carb 250 work truck that im thinking of putting the fuel injected 460 in.

My other question lies in reliability. The truck in questions is from the original owner and has 200k miles on it, has had work done and it runs drives A+. How long do these 460s last? 2500 bucks

Or should i just buy a crate ford 460 motor from a guy that has less than 10k miles on it and was and is a complete drop in replacement motor from ford that cost him almost 4500 bucks before he wrecked his truck. It also comes with a rebuilt c6 auto 4x4 tranny. 1000 bucks

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could try the thread in the gas engine forum as well. I've only heard good things about the 460 except that it likes to eat gas. Its probably second only to the IDI in toughness and longevity in terms of Ford V8s. Shouldn't be a lot of trouble to swap the transmissions with the complete donor vehicles. Same bell and bolt pattern. Gas to diesel or 460 to a small block might be bigger trouble.

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
The only trouble I had with the trans swap was the cross member. Had to oval the holes to get it to slide back farther as the zf is longer. I used the trans mount from the auto with my C6 member. Gave a better motor/trans driveline angle. Wire harness is plug and play. Pedals are easy, swap the whole assy. Holes are marked on the firewall for the master, just have to measure dia. and drill Driveshafts worked, but the rear was a little long. Found a differnt couple shaft off a f150 that was a better fit. (3/4"shorter) My dad has a '86 460 with the hot fuel setup. Wouldn't trade that carbed monster for efi anyday.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my engine has seen better days thats for sure but i want more gears. What did you do about the automatic column etc?