1986 6.9l???

power_stroker

Reaction score
im looking into getting a truck and i was looking at a '86 f250 6.9l and its 4x4 and auto and was wondering if $2500 is a good deal. it also has an ats turbo. also to the 6.9l have potentiel?
thanks
daniel

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome.
you have stumbled into the best depository of IDI info on the web. $2500 for the truck is a good deal with a turbo. Do some reading and you will find the pros and cons of these motors.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Up here, in the rust belt. We base our negotiating price on how much of the body is still hanging onto the frame.
But I've got to figure that a good running 6.9, with a turbo, is worth $2500

power_stroker

Reaction score
okay thanks. we are hopfully going to check it out sunday. its got 200,000miles on it but its a diesel so it should last me. its going to be my first car and i wanted a diesel. i know alot about 7.3 because we have 3. but i only have the money to get a 6.9l...i was going to get a sweet '87 350 w/ 7.3 w/ turbo, 4" lift and 36" tires and the dana 60 front axel but the guy sold it under me. we went and checked it out and we were coming back te next day to buy it and he sold it. i just want to know if the 6.9 are as reliable.

i heard that they are prone to oil leaks in the back of the engine and that is all i know

thanks guys

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they all leak back there.
some more than others.
There's some things you don't need to worry as much on the 6.9 as you do on the 7.3 namely cavitation. otoh, if the 6.9 has original headgaskets, they may need replacement if the leak in the back is real bad. At that time, throw in a set of studs. how about giving us an idea where you are at? that is the best way to determine you are getting a good deal or not.

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last October, I paid $1425 for a 88 F250, 4X4, and a Banks Sidewinder. Mechanically everything was pretty much OK, but the front end needed a complete rebuild. Watch EBAY, that is where I found this one.

akoldnav

power_stroker

Reaction score
i live in california. santa cruz. its like an hour and a half south of san francisco

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
let me guess.....
you are looking at this truck on CL?

Attachments

• YuBWC0bwEPtcwfa5X1cqKu40S0Xy.jpg
    YuBWC0bwEPtcwfa5X1cqKu40S0Xy.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 14

power_stroker

Reaction score
lol....haha ya i am, is it good? we are just going to check it out. my dad called his good friend that is a diesel index and said not to get it they have 2 little power for a first car... he said he was going to put the word out that im looking for a diesel truck..he wants me to get a 7.3. he is very well known so i shoud be able to get a good truck.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
towcat said:
let me guess.....
you are looking at this truck on CL?

You are amazing. That's 2 threads tonite that you've pegged the described truck. Is there anything you miss? LOL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
power_stroker said:
lol....haha ya i am, is it good? we are just going to check it out. my dad called his good friend that is a diesel index and said not to get it they have 2 little power for a first car... he said he was going to put the word out that im looking for a diesel truck..he wants me to get a 7.3. he is very well known so i shoud be able to get a good truck.
by the looks of it, I'd say get it. yes, as a NA they are a little underpowered. but if the motor checks out good, you can always turbo it. Nice part of an underpowered truck for a first vehicle is you won't get too overconfident with your brakes. You will also learn strategy when driving in traffic. I started years ago with a bigger dog...1983 chev 1ton towtruck 6.2 and thm400 trans. Took forever to get going but it stopped hella good. If I were you....go check it out and if it looks as good on the inside as it does on the outside, buy it. you can't go wrong. It won't depreciate further than that. It'd be a great starter truck to learn on. ;Sweet
If you want to see the extreme end of what these motors can do, come over the hill sometime and I'll take you for a ride in the '92 f350CC. Honestly, the 6.9 is just as capable of doing the same.:D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
apextrans said:
You are amazing. That's 2 threads tonite that you've pegged the described truck. Is there anything you miss? LOL
i just tend to remember faces better than names cookoo I'm nowhere as good as my grandfather, he was able to count a three deck shoe. Playing cards against him was a loosing proposition.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I still don't get that peeps say the 6.9 is under powered. Mine has more power than most 460's I've driven. Of course I don't tow 10K lbs, though.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Guys... This truck HAS an ATS turbo. It will not be underpowered at all. Buy it and change the headgaskets and install ARP studs. The cost about $200.00. That way you will really get to know your truck motor and have lots-o-fun driving too. ;Sweet

power_stroker

Reaction score
well we went and checked it out and it was beat to hell. it had an independent front end that was really bad, the turbo didnt work as we were able to tell, the tranny was shot, you had to let of the gas to get it to shift, and it was a rust bucket. we are not getting it.