1986 6.9 no pwer to fuse box or key

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What part of the fuse box? Part of it is hot all the time, part of it is hot only with the key in run.

Brake lights, marker lights, hazard lights, cigarette lighter, radio memory are hot all the time. Blower fan, radio, turnsignals, etc would be powered only with the key. Check and see what you have and what you don't have.

paul w

Reaction score
I have no power with key on or off at fuse box, tested with test light grounded to batt. ive cleaned all grounds positive terminals ,block grounds chassis ground. I have beacon ,aux lights that are hooked direct to batt that work. I can jump relay and crank motor no start.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are large yellow wires that leave the starter relay area over in the pass side inner fender area, and run up through the firewall to the fuse box and the ignition switch. These are the main feed wires. I would get a testlight and poke these to see if they have power.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's the fusible link....I've replaced it on every truck. I use these:

You must be registered for see images attach

It's a 40 amp fuse ... comes with comes with 8 gauge (I believe) pig tales about 6" long ... about $11 at O'Reilly. ((EDIT: Part # MAH1 Line: (Lit) made by Littlefuse)) I also disable that stupid heater on every truck ... not convinced that it does anything good.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's the fusible link....I've replaced it on every truck. I use these:

You must be registered for see images attach

It's a 40 amp fuse ... comes with comes with 8 gauge (I believe) pig tales about 6" long ... about $11 at O'Reilly. ((EDIT: Part # MAH1 Line: (Lit) made by Littlefuse)) I also disable that stupid heater on every truck ... not convinced that it does anything good.

Does the 40 amp seem to hold ok? I would think that might be borderline being big enough. Worst case in my experience is driving at night with the lights on, and the A/C on with the blower on high. The electrical system on these trucks was borderline as far as size from the factory anyway.

P.S. I just looked at the diagram a little closer, they do split the system up among several different fusible links, so I guess there is not just one that holds everything.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what year truck you have but if you have power after the links, check your main harness connector. Fusible links can lie to you to. I chased one for a while. Would read twelve bolts with meter but hook something to it and it would go to zero. It was just hanging by a thread inside.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay. I'm an idiot. It's in the title of the thread. Info still holds though.