1984 6.9 radiator re-core cost

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Risky statements coming -Plastic is technically a better thermal conductor than even aluminum. The reason most say stay away is because it's more prone to crack and leak at the mating surface than it's all metal (and welded) counterparts. No doubt in an idi's case it's true.

At this point though,the first run of super dutys left the line over 20 years ago today, and some still have the o.e plastic tank radiators. I don't think it's nessisaily the plastic that's the problem, it's the aftermarket manufacturer that's always the problem. They can be made even better than the original copper brass units were in every way (efficiency,weight, reliability, serviceability) they just flat.....aren't......

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont buy it. If plastic was a better thermal conductor wouldn't they make the fins of the radiator out of plastic then? The main reason modern radiators use plastic tanks is because its lighter and cheaper.

Nylon plastic, which is most likely the type of plastic used in radiators, has a thermal conductivity of .24-.3w/mK while aluminum is 205w/mk.

Last edited:

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I'm certain or have inside info, but from a reasonable standpoint, the same reason you don't make the block out of it. Very low torque handling capability, more shatter/ breakage prone, cost to mold it in that shape.

The material that radiators function based off of is not 100 percent aluminum.solid pure aluminum when exposed to oxygen immediately forms aluminum oxide. So even on seemingly polished and shiny surfaces the material that you're dealing with is aluminum oxide. It has a very different thermal conductivity than bright aluminum.it's still a great conductor even for ceramic material. I didn't see it on that website I believe you probably pulled up on Google, but through some digging, aluminum oxide works out to about 30, and some plastics can be as high as 200 w/mk. Then you have the fact of convection, which is how fast the material can actually get rid of the heat that it picks up by design.

The most common type of plastic used for radiator end tanks is glass fiber-reinforced abs from the oems.Definitely not the best plastic there is, but it works.

Here's the big thing though I 100% agree the reason they went to plastic end tanks was for cost savings. That's why the oems do anything they do.

So I stand by my original statement,it COULD be made better it's just that no one ever does make it better, even the oems just make them so that they last close to how the old ones used to

square1

Reaction score
Plastic tanks cost me a motor when it split right across from the return / hot hose connection. Pumped all the coolant out very quickly. Daughter was driving and by the time she realized there was a problem and stopped, the truck had severely overheated. Got everything patched back together and it started but the motor sounded like marbles.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeap, got a ranger in the driveway with the exact same problem. Also have an idi in the yard with a copper brass radiator that did exactly the same thing too. And a powerstroke w/a nice mishimoto aluminum radiator that blew up at a weld seam.

Again, not defending how many are made, but it's not plastics fault that manufacturing is as cheap as they can get away with