1983 f350 6.9idi

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Umm, is this a stock block heater, or an aftermarket one? I've heard that the stock ones will crack the early blocks (and since that truck is a 83, that would be considered an early block unless it was changed to a later model one) because of a casting defect. Mel says that he's used it and it hasnt cracked his block, but I've heard a lot of people say not to use the stock ones. Just an FYI.

I dont really know how to tell if its working or not. I suppose you could feel the block down by the block heater and see if its hot/warm.

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I use mine, you can jump in the truck on a 25 Degree day and instantly have "some" heat. Also you could feel the heater hoses....They would get warm also.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin is right... I wouldn't use a stock block warmer on an 83...but if you must, if the heater hoses get warm its working. Also it makes a slight hissing/crackling sound.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
take a ohm meter to the blades on the plug, you should have continuity.
also you can use a old syle trouble light, with a plug, when you plug the heater in, the light should flicker .

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to use the block heater in my 83' when it was brand new. Once I learned of the potential for cracking though, I discontinued it's use. The cord has since been removed. Use it at your own risk. Considering that an 83' will start with no problems if everything is in working order, down to some pretty cold temps, I wouldn't fool with it if I were you.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is an 85 considered an early block style? I put a new heating element in the block last winter, but I had no idea about the block cracking issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle