1983 f250 6.9 oil pressure problems

crewchief219

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to change my oil cooler because my pressure regulator valve was stuck open and dumping oil into the oil pan. I think everyone here has a point that because your pressure seems to be affected by the angle of your truck that its prob not your issue but if you want to see all you have to do is pull your oil filter and look through the square opening. You'll see what looks like a cylinder. You shouldn't see any sort of hole, but if you do then you can try to close it with a scribe or really skinny screwdriver. Mine wouldn't move at all and I had to replace it but that's one thing to eliminate.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well that sure is a lot easier than pulling the pan in frame to see if the suction line is cracked or broken. When you say you had to replace the oil cooler. Are you telling us you located another complete cooler with both heads intact so thats what you did. If so I hope you changed or knew for sure the o-rings were new or in ok condition. Glad you found and fixed the problem.

crewchief219

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I bought a complete rebuilt oil cooler off the forum. Really glad I did because I couldn't get the relief valve to move even with the cooler removed. I've got great oil pressure now, and i was having similar issues. 0-4 psi at idle. 15-20 max. I never noticed any difference with the angle of the truck but I was lucky enough to have another vehicle to use until I fixed it.

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyday is a School Day. Dang, that's some good stuff there. What a huge time and money saver that can be. I think how many owners must have pulled pans, oil pumps, bearing caps, trying to figure out where the pressure drop was at and then finding nothing.

crewchief219

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No joke. If not for this site I wouldn't have found that article. I thought for sure I bought a tired motor. Turns out I just had to swap a part.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Truely a great article with fine clean pics too. Everyone knows how much I like a clean pic...:sly I have that saved to my favorites now but will copy to paper later on too. Nothing like insurance that I have something saved. I recall many members loosing all their pics because some site wantd to change. I'm surprised this article didn't hit on shimming that spring to increase oilpressure. Many times the reason for low oil pressure besides a stuck regulater is the spring has worn from sliding back and forth on the valve. The wire thickness will become smaller so the spring looses its pressure. then noting but replacing the complete rear oil cooler header will change the pressure. Sadly we have never found a source for the spring in the after market. Anyone know of a spring maker might try to show them a spring and see if they can make some. A spring is sure cheaper than a rear cooler header. Those are around $400.00 plus nowadays...

califjeff

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

so i removed the oil pan and boy was that fun!. Found the pickup tube was broken. My question is where can i get new one at besides going to the local wrecking yard

Last edited:

darkbluefoxbody2

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

so i removed the oil pan and boy was that fun!. Found the pickup tube was broken. My question is where can i get new one at besides going to the local wrecking yard

Well Since this is the EXACT!! thing I've seen so many times, I always weld them up now! I think they change the metal type on 7.3's after 92 as there aren't as many broken.
Option 1 : weld it up
Option 2 : junk yard 7.3 from 92-94 or any year really
Option 3 : I may just have one, from a 92 engine sitting up side down out back. PM if interested but wouldn't be till Monday
OR GO TO FORD OR IHC.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I figured was happening, face uphill and no or very little pressure. that pickup tube is submersed in oil on level ground, normal oil level is just below the crank counterbalances. In the pic, you can see that the pump pickup connection would be submersed in the oil.

Happy you found the trouble before engine granade.

Attachments

• DVC01721.JPG
    DVC01721.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 44

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you found the issue, now to get a pickup, should be no issue plenty of these engines n such floating around, a member will have one or Ebay...

califjeff

Reaction score
Ya want to find a good one, don't want to do this again. when you say weld it do you weld it around where the tube and mounts to the pump (where mine broke?)