1968 chevy 327 not starting

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do they just do a normal rebuild? I had a local guy rebuild it for me and when he did he said it was so pitted that the carb was basiclly junk.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I'd ditch it, just to be rid of to goobernor. A regular Rochester 2-Jet should set right on it. You'll need a spacer, or shorter mounting studs, IIRC.

Also, IIRC, the truck 2-jets were larger bore than the car/pickup 2-Jet. That's why the circle-burners want'em.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I've never owned a governored gasser(except my 66 c60, which I plan to rectify), and I've never lost a motor to excessive rpm. Throw a tach on it, and drive with you upper brain, instead of your lower one. A 327 should be able to hold 4000rpm all day long, under load. Most of the big-block trucks(not pickups) I've drive were geared out to run 4000@55-65mph. I shift my 402 @ 5000, if I'm in a hurry, or showing off.

Keep in mind, oil pressure has a lot to do with the rpm a motor will survive at. I always use 10psi/1000rpm, as my guideline. A buddy of mine that races says a smallblock will survive @ 8psi/1000rpm. I prefer a little safety margin, considering gauge variation, and Murphy's law.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I built the 1968 327 from the Chevelle that I put into my old X-Diesel Grand Prix, I rebuilt the QuadraJunk that was on it and kept the dual points. It was a very good choice with the weight and size I was running. But the 1969 GMC C20 I own that's a manual 2wd, I replaced the points with a built HEI distributor and took off the 2bbl carb/intake and replaced them with a stock gm 4bbl intake and rebuilt QuadraJunk. Next on the list is an updated alternator and spark plug wires. As much as I like to run original, it's nicer to be a little more efficient and powerful.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old gas truck I used to drive had a 366 and dual speed rear, it had the governor on it as well as those awesome stainless air injection lines that really take your fingerprints when they get hot.

It had really started running crappy when I first started at the oil jobber and I rebuilt the carb. I remember it was a pain, but not too bad since I had a lot of experience with carbs. Motorcraft 2bbls especially. And the 77 F250 I have with the 351M in it HAD a governor on it when I bought it, now it's at the bottom of my scrap pile. They are OK when you need to run pumps or accessories, but I don't mess with them if I don't need to. If I do, they can be easily reinstalled. But in the meantime I keep locking hand throttles on all my vehicles.