17* HPOP upgrade

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I've got a '95 PSD, and want to put a 17* hpop on it. Can I just put a later style front timing cover on the engine so it matches up? Or is it easier to just do the mod for the early timing cover to accept the 17*? What are some problems I might run in to with either route?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out this link for a good read on the front cover and HPOP mods over at SDD

CLICK IT!!!

I know upgrading to the newer cover requires engine removal but IIRC yours is out right?

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Check out this link for a good read on the front cover and HPOP mods over at SDD

CLICK IT!!!

I know upgrading to the newer cover requires engine removal but IIRC yours is out right?

Yeah, the engine will be coming completely out for a swap from a junked-out donor truck. That's why I thought about just doing the cover swap. Thanks for the reading.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the block out the cover swap is the right choice.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Just spec out the part number for a 96+ engine. Need a pump?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To swap your cover you will need the oil pump pickup and oil pan that goes with the cover you buy.there are 3 different covers, pickups and pans.the mod is simple and can be done while in the truck.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
To swap your cover you will need the oil pump pickup and oil pan that goes with the cover you buy.there are 3 different covers, pickups and pans.the mod is simple and can be done while in the truck.

Didn't know it was that intensive to swap it over. Thanks.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can also send the sd pump out and have the guts swapped into the 95 pumps housing.I believe beansdieselperformance.com does it.I believe swamps does it as well but after the truck they burnt I wouldn't let them touch a lawnmower

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726