$1500 brakes

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
went to midas little bit ago to see what it would be for front brakes cant find the tool to do it myself because i need rotors too waited for them to look at it for 2 hours and then the guy tells me a long list of things it needs come out to $1550 not happy at all -cuss :backoff :mad: :puke: so it comes to a hard decision i have been wanting a cummins was going to put one in the 94 in july but now it seems a lot more logical to buy a dodge :puke: :puke: :puke: so what do you guys think i should do really need advice here

tractorman86

Reaction score
:shocked: :shocked: i would be soooooooo ;Pissed ;Pissed
i could ship you mine and buy myself another, do it yourself... i dont care how good they are i wouldnt pay that!!!

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its 4x4 i know i priced everything i need and only came out to @$275 i was shocked just looked at the statement they gave me $20 for brake fluid.. thanks i will call autozone tommaro and see if cant get the tool.... man i wander if people actually pay that much for repairs i always did my own work and now i dont regret sitting in the snow all those times hell probably saved myself over a million by now

well cooled down a bit and went to orielly's new rotors $40 a piece calipers with pads installed $80 each so around $240 for the whole job plus the cost of tools would be @ $300 i dont know why i even tried dealing with a shop like that deffinately wont happen again thanks for helping me cool down on this one guys i almost sold it i know if i ever do i will regret for years to come

Last edited:

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those places are like that. A friend of mine had the brakes go out on a 99silverado 2500, They said "yeah we can fix it today" 2 days later he went to pick it up but they didnt want him to take it cause it had a broken wheel stud, told him it was unsafe to drive. Tried to charge him over $900. for front and rear brakes, after arguing it the manager came to a compromise of like 600ish but he had to sign up for the store credit card!

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my experience is that those brakes/tire/muffler shops are a rip off. I almost never have to go to any shop or mechanic since i try my best to do it all myself but occasionally i go to a local guy for help since he only charges
$40/hr and frankly i think he is underpaid. On the very few occasions where i have stopped into one of those places to see what they would charge it is almost always more than double, or even triple, what my local mechanic would charge. Do the job yourself.

BTW why do you need a special tool for these brakes? what is different about them as compared to GM brakes? I put new calipers on my 6.2 step van last year and it did not need any special tools. Sometimes when replacing pads i have to use a large c-clamp to push the caliper in - would that be the special tool?
thanks,
paul

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guess i couldnt believe it i about :flush when i saw the paper and it read $1550 thats just about what i paid for the truck on an up side i put the new windshield in its been raining all day with out a single drop of water inside so thats something to be happy about:thumbsup:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I asume You will pay someone else to do the engine swap in Your truck, if so then I would let the same person do the brakes, it will save You a lot of money.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a guy bring me an estimate from midas once. he needed rear brk whl cyls. due to and i quote "they look rusty" hell i live in WV and the guys blazer was 5 years old. if i replaced everything that "looks rusty" under that blazer, i would have to do a body off resto on it.

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no i'm goin to put the motor in myself i know it will be a pain in the ass but i dont need it everyday anymore like i use to so it dosnt matter if its down for a month or so hopefully less but wont know till i get in there i have swapped motors in my old chevy a lot from the In line 6 to the 350 and vice versa i know this will be a lot different but i have the tools for a motor swap so i dont think it will be a very big problem

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I can do rotors and pads on my front D60 for $100 out the door....Maybe 2hrs of work. I bought the rotors for $25/each and the pads where like $30. Buy the correct spindle socket and do it yourself. a BFH is all you need to knock the wheel studs out....Piece of cake, could do it in my sleep..LOL

sootman73

Reaction score
are the spindle nuts similar to the hub nuts in the rear axle? if so you could just use a long punch and tap around the ring(to the right) to undo them. unless that is if they are recessed to far to do this. works fine for the rear where no auto shop around here has a spindle socket large enough to fit!

sootman73

Reaction score
as for brakes i rebuilt my rears in december. new springs, wheel cylinders, brake lines, and shoes. this past month i had a hub seal go bad. leaked oil everywhere. it was being fixed by insurance at the time and the dealership took a look at it. they told me all the rear brake parts where bad(all the ones i just replaced!) i can understand the shoes soaking up the oil but how does the wheel cylinders go bad? they tried telling me that everything was bad until i told them that i personally replaced those parts four months ago! trie dto charge me personally $500 to have it fixed as ins wouldn't cover it! i did it myself for $150! this is why they will be writing me a very detailed report of everything they did to the truck along with part numbers for all the parts replaced! ill show them to muck with me!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Don't EVER go to Midas for repair/exhaust work! biggest ripoff around.
First job I ever had turning a wrench was at a Midas, and that was three decades ago, thing's obviously haven't changed much.
The dang sleezy owner wrote all the service orders and his butt boy did all the inspections, then they handed out the jobs. As soon as I figured out that 98% of what I was doing was unneeded repairs , I quit. The owner was such a sleeze he had to not only lie to the customers, he had to lie to the mechanics to get them to work for him. Most, like me would quit once they figured out his game, usually after 2-3 weeks, Permanant help wanted sign. He could keep young wrenches buffaloed that long by saying the customer requested complete this that or the other, but you only buy that **** and bull story for so long when you see people picking up cars that you can tell are on fixed incomes :backoff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker