03 7.3 HPOP end plug leak discovered check ball not in place!!!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
As the title says, I removed the HPOP tonight in my buddy's 03 to repair the end plug and oring.
Taking the plug out and cleaning out the oil cavity into a container, I discovered the check ball was no where to be found!:eek:

The truck did have a hard start symptom but would run fine after a couple attempts at cycling the GP system. As I had to replace the oil pan, rebuild the oil cooler and fuel bowl, I did find a couple bad glow plugs as well and replaced all 8 with a fresh set of ZF-11's.

The passenger side high pressure oil line and fitting had been replaced prior to me getting it. And the end plug didn't feel like it was properly torqued.

Not knowing how long the truck has been run this way, at 137k do I just replace the HPOP or would it be safe to order another check ball?

Learning the powerstrokes....

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Rich, it's the "non serviceable" plug at the back on the HPOP that is the galley for the high pressure lines going out to the heads.
Talked with a parts guy at Ford this morning and it appears there should be a spring, seat and a ball in there. None of that was there!
Got the parts coming.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The small plug inline with the hpo lines? Nothing in belongs in there.the spring and balls go in the oil line fittings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online