01 trans issues

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Ok, so I've been dealt another project, but before I take on a trans swap I want to rule out other possibilities before the owner has to drop some coin on a transmission.
Truck is a 2001 4x4 automatic trans.

I was advised that it is not shifting properly but still goes down the road.
Not sure at this point if there were codes thrown on the computer or not.
Is it possible that the computer may be affecting the shifting points?
Not too familiar with the 4R100 trans.

More to come later.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron, if you've never driven one of those, you'd think they were a 5 speed. They have 4 gears and when the torque converter locks up it's like another shift. 1, 2, 3, then "3rd over" (a lock up with no to light acceleration at 35 MPH), then a locked up 4th gear (OD) at 45 MPH. You can delay the shifts or lock ups to a higher speed with acceleration, then ease off when you want a shift or lock up. At least that's the way the Moosewagon operates. Can't really get out of its own way until that TC locks up.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Mel is right but i will add this. on mine when i floor it the trans will lock the t c in 2nd and try to keep it locked for the 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 shifts.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
it does shift hard but the TC slips a little during the shift. i actually wish it would shift harder than it does. my TC lockup is mush

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
If i stomp it, it shifts hard but the TC is mushy. :puke:When i say hard it doesn't sound good. would a TC give the feel of a miss or shudder?

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Ron, if you've never driven one of those, you'd think they were a 5 speed. They have 4 gears and when the torque converter locks up it's like another shift. 1, 2, 3, then "3rd over" (a lock up with no to light acceleration at 35 MPH), then a locked up 4th gear (OD) at 45 MPH. You can delay the shifts or lock ups to a higher speed with acceleration, then ease off when you want a shift or lock up. At least that's the way the Moosewagon operates. Can't really get out of its own way until that TC locks up.

It all depends on the computer calibration. My 02 locks in first and stays locked period. Even during decel and breaking it stays locked untill it is back in first. My code is VDH2. For wanted to update it more than once but I fought them. The update acts more like yours.
The shift is darn firm the way it is and I guess that upset some people. The converter lockup is not as firm as the shifting but it is still acceptable to me. I personally like it. When it shifts it pulls the RPM down to the 1300-1400 RPM range under hard exhileration and the truck just pulls like a beast there. You just have to let up a little around 2100 to goe the PCM to grab the next gear then get rite back on it. If you can find a VDH2 computer that is the way to go. Most will have been updated to VDH4 and a replacement from Ford will deffinatly be programmed VDH4. I hope it never dies.
Ken

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Ron
I have seen a bad cps affect shifting, I have also seen a bad icp affect it.
could be just a case of fluid that is in need of change.
need to get it in your hands and check it out to see just what its doin. is it sliding into gear, is it hard, etc.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
It all depends on the computer calibration. My 02 locks in first and stays locked period. Even during decel and breaking it stays locked untill it is back in first. My code is VDH2. For wanted to update it more than once but I fought them. The update acts more like yours.
The shift is darn firm the way it is and I guess that upset some people. The converter lockup is not as firm as the shifting but it is still acceptable to me. I personally like it. When it shifts it pulls the RPM down to the 1300-1400 RPM range under hard exhileration and the truck just pulls like a beast there. You just have to let up a little around 2100 to goe the PCM to grab the next gear then get rite back on it. If you can find a VDH2 computer that is the way to go. Most will have been updated to VDH4 and a replacement from Ford will deffinatly be programmed VDH4. I hope it never dies.
Ken

that's a lot more like how i'd like mine to shift.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Ron
I have seen a bad cps affect shifting, I have also seen a bad icp affect it.
could be just a case of fluid that is in need of change.
need to get it in your hands and check it out to see just what its doin. is it sliding into gear, is it hard, etc.

That's what I'm leaning towards doing. Yesterday was a hectic day and I didn't even get a chance to get a give him a call back.

Only problem is that I don't have a code reader.:mad:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Latest info I got Friday night was that the trans shop that has the truck currently said it was shifting from first to third gear. Totally skipping over second unless they let off the throllte, would it then hit second.
The shop that was testing it had an onboard computer hooked up to it cunducting the road test while driving it.

It was throwing several codes, which ones I do not have yet, but Justin the truck owner was going to get them for me tomorrow.

He did tell me that the truck only has 112k on it and the ECM? was replaced.