Subways DT360 into my 94 F350

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No problem. It's just a neat tool to tell you what you are looking at.

That is some serious metal there. :eek:

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iz ur welder big enough for that 3/8" plate??? LOL From my angle the bit of the gun I can see looks rather puny...

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Nice work! Seems like a great plan for future engine access..

Oh, and I've used your method of a transmission jack many times LOL

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Sure is, lol I am running a lincoln mig 180 to put all this together. I believe they run the smaller tips on the non commercial line. I am also running flux core so I do not have the shrouding. Makes it nicer to fit in tight spots.

My other love is my eastwood 40 plasma cutter. I don't know how I would be doing all of this without it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dad has a 180. It will do the job. I wish my little welder had balls like that. I've thought hard about a plasma cutter but tool budget is spent for now. Have to remember that tranny jack method.

subway

Reaction score
Well I got another nice warm December day to make some good progress. I now have most of my engine cradle filled back in. First off I got a couple of needed parts in the mail. Two 1350 size yokes for my divorced transfercase!
You must be registered for see images attach

After slapping those guys in I started on the cross member. I tacked in a front piece and the rear hoop I made earlier.

The stock pan hard bar looks like it will work well with my new lowered hoop. You can't see it but the angle is very close to my steering angle.

subway

Reaction score
After that I started filling in the sides.

That was the more simple side. The other side needs to be multiple pieces.

I still need to make a small filler piece to tie the passenger side together but I feel like I made some good progress today. The whole center section is going to be set up to drop out. I am doing this for 2 reasons. I wanted to say the heck with it and weld in a solid center section but I need the room to pull the engine. For the pan to clear without pulling the cab it needs to pass through the center area of the mount on its way out. It is also going to be nice to be able to drop the pan in the truck and have the ability for an in chassis rebuild. I have off the rest of the weekend to so hopefully I can make a lot more good progress.

loosboogie

Reaction score
On my F Superduty, that front engine crossmember is much deeper. It has a power steering cooler attached to the front of it. I'm thinking maybe I won't have to cut it all the way out in the rear like you did. I think could cut as much as you did and still have a lot of meat left.

I DO like the idea of making it removable....

Last edited:

subway

Reaction score
I can get some better pics tomorrow since I ran out of light but I cut about 2 1/2 inches from the front of the cross member and probably dropped it about 6 to 8 inches from where it was from the factory in the rear.

subway

Reaction score
Didn't get as much as I wanted done today since the wifey was working so I had to juggle the kids to. I got the filler piece in and the two side brackets to tie the center section to the frame. I also did some brackets underneath but they don't show lol

I also took advantage of the warm weather to put some rust converter all over the engine so I can't paint tomorrow.

subway

Reaction score
The rust converter seemed to work well and darkened up where the rust was a little heavier. It also gave a nice base to paint on. I will have to get more paint because 2 cans was not enough to get even 1 full coat on.

I also put the engine in and pulled it back out to confirm my cross member can drip out and work like i wanted. It's all opened up now.

I ended up using up the last of my wire getting most of it welded up.

Last edited:

subway

Reaction score
I also need to pick up another plasma tip to finish out the area for the track bar. I wish I could have gotten that finished today.

That gives an idea of what it will look like.

subway

Reaction score
As a side note this is what happens when you put bronco seats in without reinforcing the area. Both drivers side and passenger side were nearly broken through.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the idea of the removable center-section engine cross member. ;Sweet

subway

Reaction score
Well not to much to show off yet. I am waiting on plasma tips to ship in so I have not been cutting metal lately. I took some time and fully welded the mounts to the frame. I have also been doing some more final fitment of the cross member and lots of drilling. Something that came up when I made the final cut on the cross member to open it up is the frame sprung outward about 1/8 or so. I actually pulled it back in with a come along. It really didn't take much I could almost do it myself but it surprised me how much strength I lost in the frame. Even with my bumper still attached I could flex the frame in our out myself 1/8 to a 1/4 inch with my legs.

So far I am liking how the bolt in center section is coming together. It is taking all the noticeable flex out.

Still have some more drilling to do but more progress.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin

Members online